AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that mixers rave about ADAM monitors because they translate well, but what are they like for casual listening? I've only had a small opportunity to demo that A7 at a local GC, and the most noticeable thing about them was that they were BRIGHT.

I'd imagine that they might get fatiguing with certain types of music, such as rock. Does anyone use a pair of A5 for desktop speakers?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
It's the same argument about not having studio monitors for home use. I sometimes wonder why I mean they're cheap though doesn't look very appealing, but spec-wise they're great. If you're a non-golden eared audiophile who are more interested in specs, and your room is treated well enough to prevent that extra brightness, they should sound awesome. Right?

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I already use studio monitors for my home theater and don't have any problems in lieu of an untreated room.

I had to bring the ADAMs up because they are naturally bright due to their ribbon tweeter---I just wasn't sure if they were TOO bright, even in extremely near-field placement.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
The typical problem with nearfield studio monitors for home use is the brightness regardless of the tweeter used. That's according to most articles I've read but personally I haven't tried them at home yet.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I've been interested in Adam speakers for their cool tweeter. Today I went to Guitar Center to check out some A7s and thought they were a little lean in the mids. They had a pair of KRK VXT6s that sounded excellent compared to the Adam A7s (lean) and the Dynaudio BM5A's (muddy). I was surprised by the Dynaudios. To me, they were the worst of the bunch. I wanted to hear the Mackie HRs, but their display switch wasn't working. Too bad the KRKs are so ugly.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaelf /forum/post/14818654

I've been interested in Adam speakers for their cool tweeter. Today I went to Guitar Center to check out some A7s and thought they were a little lean in the mids. They had a pair of KRK VXT6s that sounded excellent compared to the Adam A7s (lean) and the Dynaudio BM5A's (muddy). I was surprised by the Dynaudios. To me, they were the worst of the bunch. I wanted to hear the Mackie HRs, but their display switch wasn't working. Too bad the KRKs are so ugly.

Just put a sock made from speaker cloth over them

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm currently using Behringer TRUTHs for my PC setup, and they aren't bright at all. Bass response is ****e, though.

I'm surprised that ADAMs sounded "lean in the mids," because most reviews I read praise their midrange accuracy.

I always thought that some of the KRKs looked cool---maybe I'll stop by GC on Friday after work.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith /forum/post/14820236

I'm currently using Behringer TRUTHs for my PC setup, and they aren't bright at all. Bass response is ****e, though.

I'm surprised that ADAMs sounded "lean in the mids," because most reviews I read praise their midrange accuracy.

I always thought that some of the KRKs looked cool---maybe I'll stop by GC on Friday after work.

Compared to the KRKs and JBLs which to me were very close to reality, the Adams were lean. The tweeter was very good though. I've been kind of hyping it in my head for a while, and wasn't let down. It's a good speaker, but the KRK and JBLs were both better, the KRK was the best.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts