AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we moved into our new house we had the cable guy install jacks in rooms we did not yet have TVs in. For one, he ran the cable off a splitter from one room through the wall to the next. I had thought he had given us more than enough cable, but now that we have a TV ready to go up it seems that when we run the cable to that location it won't be long enough to reach.

I'm assuming, if need be, we could just get a longer cable. But seeing as how it's only a foot or two short, I was hoping there is some sort of adapter I could buy. It would seem to be the easiest solution. I just don't know if it exists. Does it? And if so, where can I find it?

·
Registered
6,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeball Chambers /forum/post/15435818

When we moved into our new house we had the cable guy install jacks in rooms we did not yet have TVs in. For one, he ran the cable off a splitter from one room through the wall to the next. I had thought he had given us more than enough cable, but now that we have a TV ready to go up it seems that when we run the cable to that location it won't be long enough to reach.

I'm assuming, if need be, we could just get a longer cable. But seeing as how it's only a foot or two short, I was hoping there is some sort of adapter I could buy. It would seem to be the easiest solution. I just don't know if it exists. Does it? And if so, where can I find it?

Is it a standard coax cable (F connector) the remedy is very simple. Either at Walmart or Lowe's or any other big box store just purchase a second cable the length you need and then put them together with this.

This little critter is called a F-81 F-Type Video Coupler Female to Female Jack Splice Connector Barrel (officially speaking). Hope this helps.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You may be right. I just didn't know how easy another cable is to come by, nor how difficult it is to run it through the wall. It is only a hole, so maybe it wouldn't be too bad.

I intend to cover the cable anyway, so I'm not so worried about how it would look with the coupler.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,590 Posts
Ah! I didn't read that your cable guy did a half-ass job. When he ran it to the other room he should have added a wall plate with an F connector. I thought you were referring to a cable from the wall plate to the TV and that given the location of the wall plate it wasn't long enough.

No that I understand the original suggestion is the easiest path. Also radio shack will have that connector.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
You can pick up basic cable "cable" just about anywhere from grocery stores, Walmart, Radio Shack, I have even seen it at gas stations and quickie marts. You should have no problems finding a cable to meet your needs. Just don't buy anything with "Monster" in the description, you will pay way too much if you do.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/15441334

When he ran it to the other room he should have added a wall plate with an F connector.

To this point, how feasible would it be for me to do that myself? The cable is already run through the wall, so would I just be able to cut it to length and affix it to the wall plate with the connector? Or is that not advisable?

Because that way it would give me a cleaner hookup and allow me to buy a cable the right length to run from the wall jack to the TV. So, if possible, how difficult a task is that for someone with little to no experience?

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
If I understand your situation, I should think it would be pretty easy.

You'll need to make a trip to a home improvement store. You should be able to get everything you need there.

1. Buy a drywall saw. Should be about $5.00. You can use a razor knife, but it is MUCH easier with the drywall saw.

2. Buy an "old work" outlet box.

3. Buy a cover plate with the coax fitting.

Then ....

1. Place the box on the wall so that the cable will be in the center of the box and draw around the outline.

2. Use the drywall saw to cut out the section of drywall.

3. Feed the cable through the box and install the box into the wall.

4. Attach the cable to the back of the wall plate.

5. Attach the wall plate to the outlet box.

Then quick vacuum up the drywall dust that falls to the floor before your wife finds it. It's really a pretty simple install. The "old work" box will have tabs on it with screws so that when you insert the box into the wall and tighten the screws, the tabs will grab behind the wall and secure the box to the wall.

You COULD take the half-ass way and just make the exsiting hole large enough to accomodate the back of the wall plate and use a couple of wall anchors to mount the wall plalte directly to the wall, but I think doing it the "right" way will hold up better to usage.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeball Chambers /forum/post/15507678

To this point, how feasible would it be for me to do that myself? The cable is already run through the wall, so would I just be able to cut it to length and affix it to the wall plate with the connector? Or is that not advisable?

Because that way it would give me a cleaner hookup and allow me to buy a cable the right length to run from the wall jack to the TV. So, if possible, how difficult a task is that for someone with little to no experience?

If you are willing to cut a square hole in the drywall of a particular size it is really a pretty easy task.

You would take the existing cable and just coil it up and stick back into the wall connecting the cable to the back of the wall plate with the existing fastener. Then run a new cable from the TV to the plate.

http://www.homebuyerfunds.com/improv...bletv-jack.htm

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/15508610

You would take the existing cable and just coil it up and stick back into the wall connecting the cable to the back of the wall plate with the existing fastener.

Would I still want to do that if I have several feet of extra cable I'd be stuffing in the wall? I'm talking 8" or so. That would seem excessive to me.

Would cutting some of the length off pose a problem, or is it simply a possible added difficulty you were trying to help me avoid?

Thanks for all of the detailed feedback everyone. It's very helpful when you have little idea what you're doing. It's nice to be able to understand your advice.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeball Chambers /forum/post/15511034

Would I still want to do that if I have several feet of extra cable I'd be stuffing in the wall? I'm talking 8" or so. That would seem excessive to me.

Would cutting some of the length off pose a problem, or is it simply a possible added difficulty you were trying to help me avoid?

In my mind I thought you had several feet. 8 inches is nothing (or is that a typo?)

I'm assuming that there is an adapter on the end of the existing cable. If you cut it off you have to put one back on and that is the step that takes just a little practice to do right. You have to cut various layers of the cable at different lengths and put on an adapter.

It is something that you can teach yourself to do with a sharp knife. You should practice on some extra coax first, like the piece you cut off. If you fail, you cut another inch off and do it again until you get it right.

The ones you can do without tools aren't as stable and should not be tugged on but it will be in the wall anyway so it should be fine. To invest in coax wire stripper and a snap lock compression tool isn't worth it for one adapter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.