AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at Adcom gear , namely - GFA-7605 and a GTP-860 from a factory authorized e-dealer.

Has anybody got any experience with this equipment or Adcom in general ?

It would be my first foray into seperates....

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I like Adcom amps, but they have been playing catch-up on HT pre/pros. At the 860's price point are many other choices from Rotel, Sherwood, NAD, Integra and the price reduced B&K Ref 50. One of them might be a better choice...

John

·
Registered
333 Posts
I've got a 5503 and a 20 year-old first gen. 555. I mainly compared them to B&K and Rotel; I liked the sound over the Rotel, but it was damn close to the B&K. I've got me some "bright" speakers so the Adcom warms it out nice, but retains the detail. I would have to agree with John on the pre/pros, when it comes to processors their only real strong point is the 2-channel they offer.

Also, I picked up their surge protector which has all of the inputs you'd need and series mode protection.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
"I mainly compared them to B&K and Rotel; I liked the sound over the Rotel"

Agreed. I've got a 5 yr old GFA 5006 that I'm using bridged to drive my surrounds and rear center. Nice warm, detailed sound...

John

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm replacing an Anthem MCA 50 because of a loud turn on "snap". One of the replacement amps I'm considering is the Adcom GFA 7805 which I hope to have this week. No one in my area has any experience with Adcom amps as they have never been sold here, however my Anthem dealer has just added the Adcom product line. I will be pairing the Adcom with the Anthem AVM 20 pre/pro and the Paradigm Monitor line of speakers. Does anyone have any comments on the Adcom 7805 amp? Thanks, Cheers.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I currently have a 7807 and I very much like the sound. I am using it thriugh an AVM 20 and Axiom speakers. Now for the bad part. I had a problem with the amp several months ago, something I actually caused myself(another story all together). I contacted Adcom and took it to a repair shop. It took multiple phone calls from the repair shop and I finally had to call Adcom myself to get the part sent to the shop. Once they received the part it was easy to repair. Also, Adcom covered it and it didn't cost me anything. I would still buy the amp, but if anything goes wrong with it again, I will personally bug the company as high up the food chain as I can so it won't take 2 months to fix.

NETHOMAS

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Sorry to hog the thread, but I may have missed a very important point. My Adcom also has a loud turn on pop. I keep my amp turned on all the time and just turn off the AVM20. Therefor when I turn on my AVM20 I hear a pop because the amp is still on. I assume if I turned everything off each time and started from scratch I may not hear the pop.

NETHOMAS

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nethomas
Sorry to hog the thread, but I may have missed a very important point. My Adcom also has a loud turn on pop. I keep my amp turned on all the time and just turn off the AVM20. Therefor when I turn on my AVM20 I hear a pop because the amp is still on. I assume if I turned everything off each time and started from scratch I may not hear the pop.

NETHOMAS
that correct

most pro amp users turn amps on last and turn off ams first to prevent the popping / thumping.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the comments..someone screwed up as the amp shipped to me by Adcom was the 7605. Nice, clean sounding amp with no turn on snap but not the 7805 model I want to try. Cheers.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Nethomas I've got my Adcom paired up with a complete Axiom setup and a B&K Ref 50. The amp really tames the sometimes harsh Axioms, doesn't it? I think it's a great combo, especially, like you have, when you get a pre/pro that keeps out of the way.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have a adcom gfa 7500. I am happy with its performance. Since there was no adcom product or distributor in Australia. I was able to buy from them direct at full msrp mind you!

I have been in contact with them for the last 6 weeks enquiring about adding another adcom amp to my system, gfa 5802. They had promised many times for a reply and I literally had to phone them up from Australia 11.30pm twice to get an answer. The response was as if they just didnt want to know. I for one if I was a manufacturer and a customer went to the lenght to contact them to buy again and pay 250.00 american dollars for shipping. I would look after them. They stated if I wanted to buy a gfa 5802 then I should pay full msrp 2000.00 from them. I put forward my case that I could buy from online retailers in the USA for anywhere from 1400.00 to 1750.00. Only to have it shipped back to them to be converted for 230volts for our power. They stated the best they could do was full msrp.

I just dont think they look after their customers well! I think I have highlighted this.

:mad:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.