AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so does this amp really need it's own 20amp circuit? What happens if I try it on just a regular house plug? Foes this mean if it does need it that I just need to put a bigger breaker on my panel for the plug it's running on? Or does it need upgraded wiring in the walls too?


Next how does this amp sound? Any experience?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
According to one source, you can pop breakers hooking it up to a 15A circuit.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
275 Posts
I've owned one since they first came on the market. It actually has a single digit serial number. It has been powering my home theater for years and sound fantastic. Music sounds amazing. I am using an Onkyo preamp, Boston Accoustic speakers and a huge Velodyne sub. I do have my equipment on a dedicated 20 amp circuit.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by promike /forum/post/19519487


I've owned one since they first came on the market. It actually has a single digit serial number. It has been powering my home theater for years and sound fantastic. Music sounds amazing. I am using an Onkyo preamp, Boston Accoustic speakers and a huge Velodyne sub. I do have my equipment on a dedicated 20 amp circuit.

so basically you just had to put a 20amp breaker for that room on your panel? that doesn't seem to be a big deal. hell, i could even put a 30 amp on if necessary. it's not like they are very expensive
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil /forum/post/19519648


so basically you just had to put a 20amp breaker for that room on your panel? that doesn't seem to be a big deal. hell, i could even put a 30 amp on if necessary. it's not like they are very expensive

You just can't put in a larger breaker. The wire run in the wall must be the proper gauge. If you currently have a 15 amp breaker the wire may not be big enough. It is most likely 14 gauge. It could be smaller if you have an old house. It will also not be up to code specs. A 20 amp breaker needs 12/2 gauge wire. As well as all the other outlets on that same circuit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
Yes, I would not put a 20 Amp breaker on 15 amp wiring. You don't want to violate electrical codes, IMO. They serve a purpose. Wire must be think enough to not heat up substantially when you send current through it.


Fires can result from incorrect wiring.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm amazed they would make an amp with these requirements. Seems kinda stupid to me if it will only run on a 20 amp circuit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil /forum/post/19521142


I'm amazed they would make an amp with these requirements. Seems kinda stupid to me if it will only run on a 20 amp circuit.

There is nothing stupid in this. There are stereo amps requiring 20A dedicated circuit.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 /forum/post/0



There is nothing stupid in this. There are stereo amps requiring 20A dedicated circuit.

I just don't see too many people rewiring for an amp. Kinda costly isn't it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,152 Posts
I had a 7807 for about two years and it sounded fine. ONly problem I had was one channel went out and I took it to St Louis for repairs and had a very hard time getting Adcom to stand behind it. I took it to a certified repair shop according to Adcom but they were VERY slow in getting the parts to the shop. Probably was gone 8 weeks at least. No problem with the sound quality. It probably didn't soound as good as my current Emotiva amps but hard to remember after a couple of years. I used it on my current 15amp system without problems.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nethomas /forum/post/0


I had a 7807 for about two years and it sounded fine. ONly problem I had was one channel went out and I took it to St Louis for repairs and had a very hard time getting Adcom to stand behind it. I took it to a certified repair shop according to Adcom but they were VERY slow in getting the parts to the shop. Probably was gone 8 weeks at least. No problem with the sound quality. It probably didn't soound as good as my current Emotiva amps but hard to remember after a couple of years. I used it on my current 15amp system without problems.

Are you saying your emotiva amps sound better?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well i looked into wiring for a 20 amp circuit and it doesn't look like it would be very expensive to do...so we'll see if i win this one on ebay. if not, i'll go back to Emotiva I guess
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil /forum/post/19521142


I'm amazed they would make an amp with these requirements. Seems kinda stupid to me if it will only run on a 20 amp circuit.

why so amazed? it can't magically create all that power from nothing...


now, the question comes, "will you actually use enough of it to require a 20 amp circuit?"... if not, then it will be ok on a 15 amp circuit...


but i would guess that those who already have a system that has the requirements for that much power already have appropriate wiring in their room...


don't underestimate the marketing angle as well...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
Just to reiterate, when I google this one person DID complain that they were popping their breaker with a 15 Amp circuit. So there's some evidence you do need a 20 Amp circuit. I mention this because cc's post implies he may have missed that point.


I would guess that it's inrush limiter may not limit current enough for a 15 Amp output, so you would pop the breaker when you turn it on. In normal operation, I would guess you would not draw over 15 Amps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,119 Posts
^^^


nope, i saw it...
one person does not a "data set" make...
without knowing the complete situation of that person, you can't draw any conclusions from it... who knows what else was on that circuit, for example? and so on...


as far as inrush limiting... i suppose that's a possibility... but i'd hope it's better designed than that...
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top