AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just purchased this unit and am experiencing difficulty setting it up. I have my PS3 hooked up to it via HDMI, and I cannot for the life of me get any sound through this connection.

The instruction manual is pretty confusing and I have emailed Adcom, with no luck as of yet, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Hate to break this to you, but it appears that this AVR does not accept and process digital audio via HDMI. It will only pass the audio through to an external device such as a tv. If you want digital audio from your PS3, you will have to connect an optical or coax digital cable between the PS3 and the Adcom as explained in the "Tip" on page 19 of the user's guide. If you want the PS3 to decode the new lossless codecs on Blu-Ray (Dolby True HD and DTS HD-MA), you will have to use a 5.1/7.1 channel analog output from the PS3 if it has that capability.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I will not be able to listen to DolbyTruHD or DTSHD-MA through this receiver even though the PS3 is capable of decoding and passing along these formats via LPCM?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Doesn't look that way. Sorry. Page 19 says:

'HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) is an advanced

audio/video connection method that transfers

full-bandwidth, uncompressed digital audio and video

signals over a single cable.

As a result, pure digital signals can pass unfettered

from your HDMI-compatible source components to

the GFR-700HD and out to your digital TV for superior

picture and sound quality
."

I see no mention of multichannel PCM capability in the owner's manual. That AVR is 3 years old. A lot has happened in that time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.