AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have an Adcom preamp and the surround sound processor. From the early 90's. 1993 or 1994. I had the GFA-555 II. What i want to know is how the sound is now with Adcom compared to that amp??

Also, does anyone know about the surround sound processor i'm referring to from 1993-1994 that Adcom made? It had pro logic and 5 channel stereo sound and a couple others. I remember how for me the fuse would blow constantly and I had to take it in for repair 3-5 times. Plus the surround crackeld a lot. I eventually sold all of this and I'm glad to have gotten rid of the POS surround processor they made. It actually I think was recalled for being sauch a bad product. The store I got it from also said many people returned it cus of the same fuse blowing problems. Magnolia hi fi.

Anyhow I am wondering. how is the sound now in Adcoms current amps compared to back then in the GFA-555 II?

And what would be the cost for a 100 watt 6 or 7 channels from them? Lowest cost possible for that and a preamp low end from adcom that would have 6.1 or 7.1 sound to hook the amps into?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well Buggs, I'll bite, although I have never owned any Adcom product. Since you've gotten no responses, I'm assuming no one here has owned Adcom amps from the early 1990's as well as today for comparison.

Since I have no direct knowledge, I will just generalize my opinion:

With the fact that there are "dozens of wonderful manufacturers out there to choose from", and how "you got burned big time by Adcom once before", why would you be tempted to give them another try? Have you already looked at all competitors, and found them to be lacking?

Just my 2 cents. Well, actually my opinion in this case isn't even worth that - how about my 1/2 cent?

Kevin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, since I have both an early 90's gfa 555 II and the newer 5500, I can tell you there is a difference. The newer 5500 is much smoother in the mids and highs. And, it remains very tame when pushed hard compared to the 555. I believe this is due to the design change when they switched from bipolar to mosfet. As to the new stuff adcom has just put out, I saw it at ces but did not have a chance to listen to it. Visually they look very impressive, and I can not image they would take a step backwards in there sound.

·
Registered
12,310 Posts
The organization and management of Adcom today versus 10 years ago are totally different. In a positive sense the ownership of Adcom today is actually the original product development/engineering group that used to do the Adcom electrical design as an outside contractor. The biggest challenge today for Adcom is How to compete in the home theater category for components when the general audience has shifted to A/V receivers and optical players. It is very, very difficult for the smaller companies like Adcom to source products as their quantities are lower, so this puts them as a significant price disadvantage.

Ten/fifteen years back Adcom built their brand on amplifiers, but since they had to outsource these and back then their amplifiers were made by Rotel. Today they use other subcontractors, but now with the later digital technologies the demand of "separate" components has decreased as most users want fewer components prompting the popularity of AV receivers. However still today I would rate Adcom amplifiers as very good but still U better go find a dealer and closely audition to see if they meet your expectations... :cool:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Interesting...I didn't know Rotel made Adcom's earler stuff. Did this include the GFA 555 and 555II or was it earlier than that? Do you know who helped make the 5500 era stuff...or these new amps?

·
Premium Member
7,233 Posts
The design team from California Audio Labs is now with Adcom. Dan Donnelly the former chief engineer for Cal audio was a major player in the design of the MCA 2500 amp that received rave reviews from both Widescreen Review and Stereophile Guide. I'd venture to say that the level of talent at Adcom has never been higher. I have the MCA and it "smoked" the Aragon 8008 that I was using and the Aragon is a great amp. Though the Adcom amps are not built at the price point of the MCA, I'd still expect them to be great considering how talented Dan is. His compact disk and dvd players stayed on Stereophiles Class A list for years and this tube dac designs were revolutionary for cd.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had the GFA 555 II and freaking loooooooved the sound. I was looking at that time to get this Carver 250 watt per channel or the Adcom one that was 100 watts per channel. And it was roughly the same cost almost for them both. I forget. The Adcom blew Carver away. So I got the 100 watt per channel. First time I played it loud enough to have the lights on it flash, it blew up. The lights barely flashed too, lol. So I took it back and exchanged it for the GFA 555 II for more power. I freaking loved this amp and wish I had it now even. If adcom today sounds even better then the GFA 555 II then holy cow, I'd love to be able to afford thier stuff. I also think Adcom looks are awesome.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Bulldogger is correct that much of the CAL braintrust is now at ADCOM (i believe they also have some ownership control). Their F.A.T. fast analog transform amps are well received and new optical products seem to be striving for CAL type quality at a lower price.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.