AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to move my turntable (and add a cd player most likely in the future) to my home office, and am looking at a seperate 2.0 setup. I think i found a good deal on a used gpa-535 amp for $75 -

do you think this would work well for me? I figure I can get a gfp-555 or something as the preamp for around $100 to go with it? (unless someone can reccomend another preamp choice that might be better).

Any help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
722 Posts
I owned a GFA-555 (two steps up from the 535) for 14 years, and it may have been the best box of any type I've ever owned -- brutish power and reliability. As noted, if this 535 is in good working order, then it should be a steal at 75 bucks.

I think Adcom has lost its way in the past 10 years or so, but I loved their two-channel preamps and power amps. (And their multichannel amps are still awesome.) I particularly liked the no-nonsense GFP-750 preamp, although I never owned it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brownstone /forum/post/16998549

I owned a GFA-555 (two steps up from the 535) for 14 years, and it may have been the best box of any type I've ever owned -- brutish power and reliability. As noted, if this 535 is in good working order, then it should be a steal at 75 bucks.

I think Adcom has lost its way in the past 10 years or so, but I loved their two-channel preamps and power amps. (And their multichannel amps are still awesome.) I particularly liked the no-nonsense GFP-750 preamp, although I never owned it.

Thanks for the input guys! I'm in the final stages of negotiations, so I will hopefully have it soon.

For a preamp- is my best bet an adcom, ie 555mkII ? I'm also leaning towards usher s-520's for the speakers. This will be a music only second set up in my home office / man cave / listen to records without anyone bothering me room

any and all sugestions are appreciated

·
Registered
1,809 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asalerno /forum/post/16999413

For a preamp- is my best bet an adcom, ie 555mkII ?

that is what I use. I'm happy enough with it. Apparently

the 555mkII and the 565 are very similar and considered

better than the original 555.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknightd /forum/post/17000575

that is what I use. I'm happy enough with it. Apparently

the 555mkII and the 565 are very similar and considered

better than the original 555.

im going to bump this one - i have the 535L amp and the gfp-555 for a preamp now, im looking for speakers at the moment.

Any opinions on the av123 elt525m for this setup?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts