AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbe question here. I have some Adcom seperates (gfa-535 amp, gtp-350 tuner/preamp) with a pair of B&O beovox cx100 speakers. Is there a way to keep these as the basis of a home theater system? Also could someone recommend a center channel speaker that would work with B&O's. Thanks for the imput.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Get a receiver with pre outs, and you can still use the amp.

If you love the idea of spending money, some people will buy a pre processor with a bypass option that lets you use a different setup for stereo only. But you would also need an amp switcher.

A waste of money, IMO.

·
Registered
15,090 Posts
If you get an AVR with preamp outputs, it's easy to add it to any stereo audio system which has a spare set of line-level inputs. (Of course, it's easiest if the preamp includes a unity-gain input pair.)

Just connect the AVR's preamp outputs for the Left and Right front channels to the spare stereo preamp input. When you use the AVR, select that input on the stereo preamp. Set the stereo preamp's volume level to "unity gain" -- the position which produces the same volume as when the AVR drives the speakers directly.

Alternatively, for AVRs with room EQ (like Audyssey), just make sure the stereo preamp's volume level gets set to whatever setting was used when the Audyssey calibration was run. Audyssey will have compensated for any difference in volume level.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle3934 /forum/post/18295164

Newbe question here. I have some Adcom seperates (gfa-535 amp, gtp-350 tuner/preamp) with a pair of B&O beovox cx100 speakers. Is there a way to keep these as the basis of a home theater system? Also could someone recommend a center channel speaker that would work with B&O's. Thanks for the imput.

You do not need stereo preamp at all. Just choose AVR with pre-outs (they are actually cheaper than comparable preamps/processors) and use external power amp. I think you can find Adcom 5800 for under $500 these days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts