·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my friend is cleaning house and is throwing away his:

Teac EQA-120 10 Band Stereo Equalizer

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...EQUALIZER.html

he asked me if i wanted it.

I have a HK 3490 powering a pair of JBL L820 bookshelves that sit on my computer desk that I use for music + gaming.

I have no control over EQ except when playing music (software EQ) - but I don't really have control when i'm playing games.

Would it be worth it to install this - or would it be a waste of my time...is there a chance of signal degration / quality loss?

·
Registered
4,587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by localhost127 /forum/post/18159619

I have a HK 3490 powering a pair of JBL L820 bookshelves that sit on my computer desk that I use for music + gaming.

I have no control over EQ except when playing music (software EQ) - but I don't really have control when i'm playing games.

Would it be worth it to install this - or would it be a waste of my time...is there a chance of signal degration / quality loss?

Of course there's a chance of signal degradation, but you should listen and see what you think. I had a somewhat simliar (bit more expensive ) ART graphic with more bands, and I found its self-noise whenever any slider moved from zero too much for home listening. Fine for EQing PA for live performance - - lots of noise to mask the hisssss. Try it, maybe it won't be bad. Maybe it will be clean enough when bypassed that you'll enjoy what it does for games, and feel it causes no problems when bypassed for music. Maybe you'll hate it, and you can give it back for his birthday or something . . .

·
Registered
975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHAz /forum/post/18162195

Of course there's a chance of signal degradation, but you should listen and see what you think. I had a somewhat simliar (bit more expensive ) ART graphic with more bands, and I found its self-noise whenever any slider moved from zero too much for home listening. Fine for EQing PA for live performance - - lots of noise to mask the hisssss. Try it, maybe it won't be bad. Maybe it will be clean enough when bypassed that you'll enjoy what it does for games, and feel it causes no problems when bypassed for music. Maybe you'll hate it, and you can give it back for his birthday or something . . .

My same experience with those types of EQs. They added too much distortion for me.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for your inputs.

ill probably stay clear for now... i dont need an EQ but it was something that was there for free so i was questioning what-if.

working on sound/room treatment at the moment ... ill wait until that's done and see if i even need eq.

thanks again

·
Registered
12,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by localhost127 /forum/post/18159619

The 3490 has Pre-outs/Main-ins very EZ to connect up the equalizer.

Why not try it out if you think the present system is lacking..

Just my $0.01..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts