AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently upgraded my 15+ old Tecnics receiver to an entry level Yamaha 377 as it fit my price point and I was looking for a device that had HDMI pass-through. I am still using my 10in Infinity towers and wanted to use my 12in Technics SB-W33 Subwoofer. Well after I hooked up my sub, I realized these new receivers require a powered sub, versus the passive one I have.

I will mainly use this for movies, sports, my kids video games and occasionally music. I've been looking at relatively cheap sub's such as Polk, Yamaha & Pioneer (all under $150) but all of them were 8-10in and it made me wonder. Is it possible I could add a plate amplifier to it? Or is this even possible?

Not sure if this is the right forum to place it in, but I'm just curious as I am not necessarily an audiophile...but I do want the right sound.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
If your wood working skills are good enough to cut the likely rounded rectangle for the amp and whatever other, sorry it's not what I do, chamfering needed to lay the plate amp in place, and the sub either needs no eq or the plate amp can provide adequte eq, you are golden. Clumsy morons like me are many dollars ahead to acquire a decent powered sub from svs, hsu, ryhmik, etc.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
6thSense. Your issue has arisen occasionally over the years. Most people eventually decide to purchase a new subwoofer.
In the under $300 range, the BIC PL200 is highly recommended (check the PL200 thread on how to get the best price).
In the under $200 range, you can look at some of the subwoofers from Parts Express that are well regarded.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
I recently upgraded my 15+ old Tecnics receiver to an entry level Yamaha 377 as it fit my price point and I was looking for a device that had HDMI pass-through. I am still using my 10in Infinity towers and wanted to use my 12in Technics SB-W33 Subwoofer. Well after I hooked up my sub, I realized these new receivers require a powered sub, versus the passive one I have.

I will mainly use this for movies, sports, my kids video games and occasionally music. I've been looking at relatively cheap sub's such as Polk, Yamaha & Pioneer (all under $150) but all of them were 8-10in and it made me wonder. Is it possible I could add a plate amplifier to it? Or is this even possible?

Not sure if this is the right forum to place it in, but I'm just curious as I am not necessarily an audiophile...but I do want the right sound.
You don't even have to use a plate amplifier - there are other amplifiers that don't require mounting to a sub. You could use a plate amplifier, just not mount it to the back of the sub.

You could mount the plate amplifier to the side or back of your entertainment center to keep it somewhat hidden. You can convert the terminals of the passive subwoofer you already own to accept the wires from the plate amplifier. Since the terminals on the passive sub are already cut, fitted and screwed into the back of the sub, you wouldn't need to do any wood working.

On the other hand, if I had $150 to spend on another sub, I would get a Dayton Audio SUB-1200. You could spend $150 and get another amp, or $129 on a new sub. The deciding factor, if I was in your shoes, is if the Technics sub is still in good enough shape and quality to last many more years. Buying a new sub means it will be under warranty, so added peace of mind.

Whatever your choice, I suggest you get whatever you need from Partsexpress.com. I used to own the Dayton SUB-1000, a smaller brother.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After a couple suggestions from this post and other reviews I've read, I think that I am going to purchase the Dayton Audio SUB-1200 12" 120 Watt Powered Subwoofer. I have a question regarding subwoofer cables. Forgive me for being a noob.

I have a Yamaha 377 receiver which only has one RCA subwoofer output. I read or saw somewhere that you just use the red RCA from the back of the subwoofer and plug the other end to your receiver. Maybe I'm over thinking this, but I see two cords I was interested in getting...

One is the 2-male to 1 male - amazon.com/gp/product/B00NGV23XC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1DCPNQKKEISZB

The other is the 1 male to 1 male - amazon.com/Mediabridge-ULTRA-Series-Subwoofer-Cable/dp/B003FVYXY0/ref=pd_sim_e_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0M00TN19Z86BFCHXKDYP

Which one would be better for my subwoofer and receiver? Would that 2-to-1 one give slightly better sound?

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
No, a 2 for 1 will not improve sound quality one bit!

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts