Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,

I made my purchase yesterday from Projector People. I'll now be joining the legions of the PB6100 owners :)

Only problem is that Projector People is out of stock until the end of the month :doh: Oh well, at least it gives me time to figure out what all else I need to buy.

I think I'll be using a 4-port KVM switch and multiple component to vga adapters for my x-box, high def, and htpc input. Now I just need to find the right one. There are a bunch out there so I figure I'll start with 1, test it and if it works, great, if not, go on to the next one. I'll be running a long VGA cable to the projector (~30ft) so I hope that won't cause any problems.

Any suggestions for VGA cables of that length? I am hoping to find an externally powered KVM switch that will also boost the VGA signal.

I'll be temporarily shooting onto a piece of grey drywall until I decide which screen material to use. I've got samples of High power and HCCV to play around with.

I'll be sure to post a review once I've settled in with it a bit, and of course the obligatory screen shots.

Any suggestions? I'm all ears.

Russ

·
Registered
971 Posts
Yaaay! So when do we have a shootout? :)

As to the VGA cable.. if you feel like doing some DIY, you might check out the 'RGBHV over Cat5' thread in the over $3500 forum.

As soon as I get my setup finished in the den (cabling took longer than I thought) I'll have to try for some screenshots too.

RG

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rick,

I'll be sure to give you a call. By the way, the screen samples came in. Once I figure out which one I like better, I'll send them your way.

I have read that thread and thought about doing it (I have a whole spool of cat5e laying around). But I'm a bit worried about picking up interference. I feel more comfortable using the 75-ohm shielded coax types from Ram or others. I'd just hate to spend all that time building the cable and running the wires to find out that I have ghosting or pixel hop.

Whenever you're ready for that SS demo, let me know :)

Russ

·
Registered
29 Posts
Russ - I've got my PB6100 connected to an HTPC and XBox by a nice, thick 50' VGA cable I picked up at the local Altex for $49. We can't see any difference between picture quality on the 50' versus a standard 6' monitor cable.

Also, if you didn't catch this elsewhere, you can use a regular BNC-to-VGA adapter cable and 3 BNC-to-RCA adapter plugs to convert VGA to Component video. Quite a lot cheaper than buying a cable marketed specifically for AV use, and exact same output quality. I even found my cable at Goodwill for $4!

Welcome to the legion!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Out of curiousity, can you share your reasons for choosing the 6100 over the 6200 (assuming you considered the 6200). I'm facing a similar choice and have been strongly leaning toward the 6200, so I'd love to hear an opposing perspective. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nosdmi,

The only reason that I chose the 6100 was for price and availability.

My plan is to use this projector for 2-3 years by which time we will have moved into a new house where I will build a true theater.

So this is basically a "get me by" projector. The 6200 was unavailable and the rebates end Jan 31st. Soooo, my breakdown goes something like this:

6100 $900 after rebate

...800x600

...1500 lumens

6200 $1600 (free lamp)

...1024x768

...1700 lumens

I will use the projector about 10hrs/week max so the bulb will last me about 5 years, by which time I will have a newer projector. So the question is, is the extra resolution and lumens worth $700? To me, no. I demo'd the X1 and with a screen size of 44" tall (16:9) at a seating distance of 13' I was barely able to see pixel structure and it was only when I was really straining to see it on small text. I will likely be using a high power screen for it's off axis ambient light rejection, so 200 lumens isn't going to make a difference.

Protagonist,

Thanks for the heads up about Altex. My friend picked up a 25' VGA cable and I was surprised by the quality of it. Would you happen to know the brand that you are using? It's my understanding that with the BNC to VGA cables you would connect R, G, and B, to their respective colors on the component side correct? What do you use to switch between Xbox and htpc (I'll be doing the same)?

Russ

·
Registered
21 Posts
Add me also to the list. Mine will be here by Monday or Tuesday...

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you're using a KVM switch to select sources is this a VGA switch box? If so how do you get all of your devices (DVD, TV, XBox) to the VGA? Is it easy? One of my concerns for when I get a PJ is how to switch between HD Cable, XBox and DVD and maybe another regular TV connection (the icture quality on my TV for regular TV, when conencted to an HD input is worse than when connected using regular coax.

What inputs are on the 6100? SVideo and VGA?

thanks,

Chris.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by protagonist
Russ - I've got my PB6100 connected to an HTPC and XBox by a nice, thick 50' VGA cable I picked up at the local Altex for $49. We can't see any difference between picture quality on the 50' versus a standard 6' monitor cable.

Also, if you didn't catch this elsewhere, you can use a regular BNC-to-VGA adapter cable and 3 BNC-to-RCA adapter plugs to convert VGA to Component video. Quite a lot cheaper than buying a cable marketed specifically for AV use, and exact same output quality. I even found my cable at Goodwill for $4!

Welcome to the legion!
Got my cable from an old monitor at work.. sitting on my desk.. waiting to go home with me! Bring on Comcast HDTV tonite!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ukchris,

The 6100 can accept component video input over the vga port. Basically all my component devices (xbox, hdtv, etc) will have vga to bnc cables connected to them. Then, each VGA cable is connected to the KVM (keyboard, Video, Mouse) switch and 1 VGA cable is sent from the KVM to the projector. The projector (I believe) autosenses the input and switches from component to vga.

My only problem is that I don't know which KVM to buy. I have read a couple of reviews on the Belkin F1DB104P which says that video quality is pure up to 1280X1024 resolution. This should be more than enough for now.

Daekwan,

Have you ordered your 6100 yet ;)

Russ

·
Registered
21 Posts
I ordered from TigerDirect. It came yesterday and it rocks!!! No rainbows, Ha, Ha!! and indeed it looks better than the X1. Brighter, better yellows, better reds, better blacks. Contrast feel the same. I'm using a ME(Misty Evenning) wall 80" diag screen. No SDE but I think the ME is helping a lot in that respect. I'm just amazed in how good DirectTV looks. It has to be the Pixelworks in there, no doubt. I saw yesterday the Gladiator intro fight and no stuttering, great contrast and no green (like in the Z1). Well, I'm just a happy camper. I worked for a University and they just ordered an Infocus X1. So in 3 or 4 weeks, I will be able to do a shootout.

Fallo

·
Registered
29 Posts
Russ - Sorry to take a while getting back. The VGA cable is the big thick black one, kind of a generic one, ITEM# VGAMM-50. Yes, the Red/Green/Blue BNC connectors correspond to the component video connectors.

And as for switching the inputs, right now I've got the girlfriend trained on which cable goes where for DVD's or XBox. It's a lot more expensive solution than a KVM, but it has some other nice features :D

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
It's a lot more expensive solution than a KVM, but it has some other nice features
Damn. Now see, that's just hilarious. I ended up ordering a 35' vga cable and 2 vga breakout cables from pccables.com. Total price was $54, which is less than I would have spent on the VGA cable alone at Altex. They should be here Thursday. pccables has a no shadow guarantee so if there's a problem I have 30 days to get a refund!

I haven't bought a KVM switch yet and I probably won't until I get hdtv installed. I'll probably pick that up at Altex though.

Would you be able to tell me what your projection distance is and the image drop? I've been told that the image is ~15" below the lens when projecting from 13' (ceiling mounted of course). That seems a bit high to me.

Thanks,

Russ

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a few questions that appear to be very related to this topic:

1) can I use a 25' long VGA cable to connect my DVD player to my Benq PB6100 projector? I am wondering because I also might want to connect the projector to my PC as well. I think I would need an adapter to convert the connection from VGA to component video to connect the cable to the component jacks on the DVD player. When I want to connect to my PC, I would just have to disconnect the VGA-component adapter and then connect the cable up to the PC.

2) If I could do this, will this affect video quality?

3) Do I have to get a shielded type?

4) Does it have to be a HDTV cable?

Cory

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
tned,

That is exactly the cable I ordered. It is identical to the vga to component cable except that it has the additional white and black wires connected. I was going to order all my cables from RAM, but they would have ended up costing my 3 times as much and pccables.com had the guarantee on their VGA cable. I'm sure RAM makes good cables, but the pccables seem just as good and feature the same construction (individually shielded coax wrapped in an overall shield), and were recommended by Tryg.

Cory,

This was posted earlier by protagonist:

Quote:
Also, if you didn't catch this elsewhere, you can use a regular BNC-to-VGA adapter cable and 3 BNC-to-RCA adapter plugs to convert VGA to Component video.
As far as the VGA cable goes, yes you can use a 25ft cable easily and it should be double shielded HDTV quality. You want a cable that uses 5 individualy shielded coax cables all wrapped in an overall shield.

Russ

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by russ fulks
That is exactly the cable I ordered. It is identical to the vga to component cable except that it has the additional white and black wires connected. I was going to order all my cables from RAM, but they would have ended up costing my 3 times as much and pccables.com had the guarantee on their VGA cable.
Ok, so the RGB segments of the cable are wired to the VESA connector the same as on a VESA to component cable that just has the RGB? You simply leave the extra two unplugged or cut them off? I like the prices if this in fact works.

Billy

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.