AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased the Panny 42 pwd 5 for my bedroom. I do not want to use a home theater for this monitor but would rather hook up speakers (prefereably in-wall speakers) rather than the speakers that Panny sells for $599. Any suggestions for low wattage speakers since this monitor only has an 8 watt amplifier.

Thanks,

Ken

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I've ordered the same panny for a friend and have some AR 402's coming from Crutchfield ($99). Hope that works.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the 42" HD Panny.

Since I won't be investing in the whole amp/speakers/HD tuner/furniture upgrade until next year, I needed some not-too-expensive speakers I could use in the interim.

I bought a set of Bose 201's because they weren't too expensive, and were rated for 10-100 Watts, thinking that the 8 Watt amps in the Panny were close enough, and I wouldn't expect too much from them.

I was unprepared for what I heard.

They crank! I can't speak for any other speakers, but the 201's put out plenty of volume, and a surprising amount of bass. The 'bomb blast' in the beginning battle scene in LOTR can actually be felt through the floor.

Not bad for 'interim speakers'.

DD

·
Registered
211 Posts
Do a search under Sears in this forum and you will find a thread with a website link. As I recall Sears has them for $299 but you have to order them from the store directly. joe

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I would recommend that if you are not going to use the Panny speakers, then you should go with an external amp/receiver. I've been looking at using B&W's VM1 series for our upcoming 37" install in the bedroom, and would use a low-end Sony receiver that's gotten good review on audioreview.com. I can't recall the model # off-hand, but it's the lowest-end Sony receiver at Crutchfield.com, and something like $150. THe VM-1's are $200 each, so you're looking at $550 total.

·
Registered
698 Posts
The panny speakers are fine for bedroom use.Especially for $299 a pair from sears.They use to sell for $599-$699. BM

·
Registered
20 Posts
i just put some jvc ones from my old hi-fi system for now until i buy my surround sound system, but after maybe 20 volume theres a noticable humming from the right speaker....any ideas? i thought maybe it wasnt magnetically shielded but i pulled it far away from the screen and it sitll hummed, the left speaker is fine :confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.