AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Basically, a 2 channel type of guy here, but I've got a pair of active studio monitors, namely the JBL LSR308 which are currently not in use, and so I thought: How about putting them to work by setting them up as rear channels?

Have very limited experience with JRiver, but is not a stranger to purchase it if necessary. For movie use I primarily use VLC as of right now.

My 2ch setup is basically a computer, a pair of speakers, a bass system, a rack full of amps and a miniDSP 4x10 HD to do all the processing. I run digital out of the puter into miniDSP and that's that.

Since 4x10HD's input does not support more than two channels I figured I could use the two analog input channels on it for the rear channels.

So what I'm really asking is for a way to do the following:

1) Separate the signal into two parts: [LFE, L, C, R] and [Rear L, Rear R]
2) [LFE,L,R,C] would be combined into two channels [L, R] and sent digitally into miniDSP
3) [Rear L, Rear R] would be analog from computer into the miniDSP for processing.

Is this type of routing even possible? What exactly do I need to do this the cheapest way possible? Would it be possible to have some type of software send only the rear channels to a separate DAC and take the signal from there, or how would you go about this, please?

The idea would be not to change anything with the 2ch system, just add those rear channels to it for movie playback.

·
Registered
15,375 Posts
Back in the 70's I made my own surrounds like this. If you connect L+ and R+ to the terminals of a speaker, you get the difference between the signals, which results in the kinds of sounds normally sent to the rear channels in a real 5.1 system. As long as you're careful with the impedances, that will give you simulated surround for free, no hardware or software required. Give it a try and see how it sounds. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts