A/V Receiver - Yamaha rx-v465

L/R - Ascend Sierra-1 NrT

Center - Ascend Sierra-1 NrT

Surrounds - Ascend HTM-200

Sub - Rythmik F12

TV - Panasonic TH50PX60U (Plasma)

Blu-ray/DVD - Samsung BD-ES6000

Cables - decent 16 or 18 Gauge i believe

So, yesterday, 9pm till 12am, spent time connecting new stuff ....

Receiver = Marantz SR7005
Cables = All Monster, thick, analog for CD player.
Power = Monster HTS 5100
CD Player = Sony C222ES

all but Receiver, got for free from a friend.

Since we were done at midnight, only today I'll be able to hear if there is a difference .... AFTER I play around more with the receiver. .... though he (friend) said he heard better sound even at low volume we had it on after.

The question I had was .... sometimes people want to hear things and they hear them. Me ... I try not to imagine improvement if I can't hear it.

From your experience ,.... out of things that I added to my current sound (with which I was pretty happy by the way), what would be your expectations if you did this upgrade for yourself?

Added the following:

Marantz SR7005

Power thing (Monster HTS 5100 power center)

and a CD player (Sony C222ES)

$400+ cables, cables cables

center channel cable

Subwoofer cable

Cables for the new Sony C222ES CD player (will my CDs really sound better than when I play them through Samsung BluRay via HDMI???)

Left and Right speaker cables.

Thanks for any input you can give.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
The biggest upgrade is, obviously, the receiver. That will definitely push your speakers far better than the Yamaha, especially if you like to turn it up loud. That said, the cables and power center aren't going to give you any added benefit. Cables are cables and power is power, but it is a good idea to have some kind of surge protection. You probably aren't gonna notice any difference on the CDs either. CD functionality is probably at a point, these days, that playing a CD is going to sound the same, in any recent Blu-ray or CD player. There's people that will tell you otherwise, but in most people's opinion, it would be a placebo. But, for free, it's all, definitely, nice stuff! The receiver is definitely a big step up from that Yamaha!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know that many people say that 300 dollar cables do nothing more than 20 dollar ones and I wouldn't spend money on cables but I got them for free. For FREE, would you replace your current cables??? :) just curious if you would even touch your current cables. If it was FREE :)

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I would say the AVR should be a noticeable difference nice cables well they look nice if the cables are the right gauge and make a proper connection then your done but free and nice looking why not.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech  /t/1471148/added-2-800-worth-of-upg...-pics-how-noticeable-will-it-be#post_23275126

I would say the AVR should be a noticeable difference nice cables well they look nice if the cables are the right gauge and make a proper connection then your done but free and nice looking why not.

Exactly my thought. They do look very cool :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts