Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello

I have a 2nd 5040 in our bedroom, and the 1st unit is in our den -- they are about 40 feet apart if you use a stright path - about 100-120 cable feet.

I have a 802.11b wireless network in place - the gateway is also right next to the den's 5040 (which is plugged in via CAT5.

If I was to connect my bedroom unit via a wireless "gmae" unit how likly do you think I will be able to stream shows from hardrive to other?

thank you in advance,

john

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Many people have wireless workiing with streaming at standard and medium levels. I believe that high is too 'dense' to use wireless (at least 802.11b). There are many threads here on how to get wireless working, which sometimes isn't trivial.

If you can easily do it, however, I'd use a wired network connection, especially if you want to use DVA to move large numbers of shows often.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have to agree with Lee on this one. It may be (slightly) harder to run a wire, but in the long run it will most likely eliminate a few annoyances (such as avoiding dva download hiccups, as mentioned.)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't use DVA -- but want better conflict resolutions :)

and don't really want to get a DirecTV and TIVO setup, as the wife (and even I) am happy with Cable...

·
Registered
348 Posts
Wireless will be fine if you don't want to stream shows between your two units.

The ability to stream between units is one of the best features RTV has and you will eventually want to do this. Your best bet is to run a wire.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Just to echo those comments above

I recently tried a 54g wireless bridge to a new second unit (5040)- my wireless router is 11b. Naturally the network downgraded to 11B. I found that while RTV was able to call home and upload the current Guide without a problem, it definitely can not stream shows at 11b. I saved myself $250 by first not having to upgrade my wireless router to 54g ($100), and secondly by returning the $150 54g wireless bridge. I then figured out a way to hardwire the new unit in. Works like a charm...

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have 2 5040 units on a wired LAN. I have a P4 running DVA and a wireless laptop (802.11b) with VLC. THe laptop has successfully streamed video from the P4 with little or no problems. Video looked great. I decided not to go wireless on the 5040s because I want to download to DVA cleanly. If I add another 5xxx in a location w/o a wired connection, I might consider 802.11g but would try to run a cable.

Cable is much faster and more dependable.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I just got two 5040's as well and would very much like to set them up on my broadband network to take advantage of streaming box-to-box as well as DVA. Most of what I have read talks about using Linksys equipment, of which I don't have a very good opinion from personal experience.

I have come across the line of products by Buffalo Technologies, namely the WBR-G54, which is their 802.11g broadband 4-port router/access point. It has WDS-bridging capability (up to 1-to-6) and has the added advantage for me of being WDS-compatible with Apple's Airport Extreme Basestation with AppleTalk support (Linksys does not pass AT packets). Oh and probably most importantly, it is available for as low as $85!

My idea is to get three of these access points. One will be the master basestation, handling the DSL line and DHCP assignments. The other two, I plan on using in bridging mode...one for each 5040. The 5040's will simply plug into the 4-port switch and WDS mode will be turned on, DHCP turned off.

Theorectically, other wireless clients (laptops, PDAs, etc) can access any of the three basestations, since the WDS-bridging mode is a "repeating bridge" mode and not bridging exclusively. Other wired machines can also be plugged into the 4-port switch just like the 5040's and be bridged wirelessly to the master basestation/DSL internet.

So three of these boxes = less than $300 outlay for a complete WDS-bridging pure 802.11g extended network. Does anyone see any problems with this setup? Please someone find a hole in my thinking before I plunk down my hard earned cash.

Thanks for your opinions.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Norbert

Cable is much faster and more dependable.
Not to mention cheaper.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.