AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out the best way to do this and I guess the cheapest way to do it. A friend from church wants to add a tv for their powerpoint. Right now they have a projector and a monitor hooked up to the pc using both vga ports. So the options are to either add a second video card or to use some sort of splitter. I am thinking a vga splitter would probably be cheaper. The other kicker is that the TV would be about 200 feet away so they would have to run a cat 5 cable and use I guess a vga balun. So would that be the best option to use a splitter off 1 of the vga cables there now using 2 vga baluns and a cat 5 cable? Would the resolution of the tv than have to be identical to the monitor if that's what it is split off of? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Well, a VGA splitter/amplifier works fine if that's what you're asking.

However, I'm not sure about the last question. Do you mean the sending resolution or the displays resolution? The sending resolution would, of course, have to be one that both display devices can handle; whatever that may be.

With that said, a PCI video card for the TV may be the cheapest option depending on distance/cost of baluns vs. the splitter/amp/vga cable.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for responding. Yes I was talking about the sending resolution. Regardless of using a splitter or a second video card(assuming the mb would support it), I would need a 200 foot run to the tv atleast and I think the easiest solution would be a cat 5 cable with baluns. Unless there is another option which I guess is the real question. To get the cable at that length would that be the best option? To add a second video card to the computer the mb would have to support sli than I would have to get an exact match per the video card in there now. I guess I need to find out first if that is even an option. If not than the splitter would have to be the way to go than I guess.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Some baluns, such as the Autopatch Catpro, have a local monitor out, which effectively makes it both a splitter and extender in one box. Not cheap, but others may offer the same option.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts