AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have Mirage OM-7s (awesome speakers, BTW, very comparable with Martin Logans, but they sound very good on much cheaper equipment.)

These are powered by a Rotel RB-1080 connected to a Rotel RC-1090.

I use a PS Audio Lambda II transport and a PS Audio Ultralink II DAC for my source. As far as music goes, I love this setup. IMHO, 5 channel music sounds weird. That said, when I watch movies of of my Sony CRT projector, even with the enveloping soundstage of the Mirages, I still feel the need to add in surround support.

Speaker wise, I'll pick up Mirages of some type. I haven't really decided which. My dilemma involves the electronics. I'm having a lot of trouble deciding what to do here. Complicating this matter is that fact that I've spent FAR too much money on my system in the last year or so and I'm quite unwilling to spend more than I absolutely have to to do this. I have NO compunctions whatsoever against used equipment, either.

Essentially, I need a pre-amp processor and a three channel amp, or a receiver with a pre-out. Are there any reasonable solutions that can be had for a few hundred dollars? The processor's quality is a good deal more important than the amp's... I will not be using power sucking beasts for the rears and center.

Suggestions would be most emphatically appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'd go with your receiver w/ preamp outs idea and use the onboard amps for the surrounds. That way you can keep the 2chn system you're pleased with intact and not have spent too much money in the process.

If you're just doing a 5.1 type system, used gear may save you some further money.

I don't have experience with entry-level receivers though--so I'll let others provide the specific recommendations.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I understand exactly the situation you are in, I also didn't want to compromise my 2 channel system so I bought a Yamaha DSP E492 which is a pro-logic processor with 3 channels of amplification. (I have a DVD Audio player with all the decoders)

There is a newer version the E800, not sure if it is available in the US.

// www.homecinemachoice.com/testbench/Processors/Yamaha/YamahaDSP-E800.shtml

Your only other option is a HT amp with pre-outs (lots do), although I imagine you wouldn't want to run your CD player and other 2 channel sources through it, only your DVD player, and then the pre-outs would go to an existing line input on you current pre-amp.

That's how my E492 is connected up, you just have to make a note of the position the volume on the main amp has to be set to when playing HT stuff.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Nick, this may not be exactly what you're looking for but what the heck. When I decided to add multi-channel music to my existing two channel system I got the Sony TA-P9000ES preamp contemplating switching b/w the two sources (DVD-A & SACD). It so turn out the Sony has both 5.1 & 2 channel bypass connections that I can insert it into my two channel system allowing me to make the front amps/speakers 'common'. Of course I still have to add center/surround amplification and eventually found the do-it-all Pioneer player with DTS/DD/DVD-A/SACD capability.

PF

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should say that my grand total budget for this absolutely sill not exceed $500. Speakers I can get easily... But I'm wondering what I can get for $100-$250 or so in the receiver department.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just bought an open box Onkyo TX-DS494 reciever for $99.00. It has DTS/DD5.1/DPL2, and works great for a 2nd HT in our bedroom. Oh, i will have to check but i dont think it has pre-outs, maybe somebody else can chime in.

Regards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.