AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've just joined the forums so please let me know if I'm posting this in the wrong place!

Firstly, I have moved house so I'm setting up a new home theater and general entertainment room but the equipment is coming from all kinds of places, so I'm trying to make them work together.

Currently my setup revolves around a Pioneer PDP-R06FE Media Receiver system which hooks up to a plasma monitor, Pioneer PRO-141FD.

I have two floor standing speakers which connect to the monitor rear through those +/- ports (red/black -- could someone let me know what to call these on these forums?).

The monitor has a cable which goes to the media receiver system, which takes all video and audio to the monitor/speakers.

So, as I have salvaged (what seems to closest resemble) a Bose Acoustimass 10 speaker system too, I was wondering how I could best go about adding these to the system to get some 5.1 sound happening.

From some quick research I suspect that this is only possible by adding an audio receiver (amplifier?) however I am open to any other explanations and possibilities.

If the amplifier is a must: where can I find some good value-for-money amplifiers that will do the job?

In the end my aim is to have all audio (regardless of the source of PS3, DVD, other..) to go through the Bose speakers.

All help is really much appreciated. I hope you're all having a good June so far, and please let me know if you need more information (pictures, etc.).

Gdubi

·
Registered
397 Posts

Just a heads up, you may get some grief about the Bose system, but don't listen to what anyone else says.  As long as you like the sound, that is all that matters.

Unfortunately, I know absolutely nothing about the Pioneers mentioned.  However, the Black (+) and Red(-) sound like speaker posts/clips.  You an just call them speaker connections, until more clarification is available.

Most Bose systems that I have seen, only connect to their Bass Module, and will not connect with any other type of receiver(AVR).  Also, a lot of HTiB(Home Theater in a Box) speaker systems, are actually rated down to less than four ohms, whereas most AVRs are suggested for 8 - 16ohms for speakers.

So with all of that said, what would the best way to connect everything together?

First lets find out if what you have already will support what you want.

Do you have any paperwork on any of your correct components?  How are the Bose speakers connected; standard speaker wire, or a colour coded system with phone jacks?  Lastly, what are all of the available connections on the back of the media server?

Hopefully, someone else will chime in, that knows your current system.

Also, if you have the ability to take pictures of the back of your current system, we may be able to figure it out from there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey underminded999, thank you for the reply.

Yeah, I realized there would be some Bose dislike, but as the room isn't going to be used for uber-studio quality listening it isn't bothering me too much.

Indeed, the Bose system seems to come together at the bass module. These are color-coded speaker jacks, not just standard speaker wire.

From the bass module, a multi-pin connector goes out and splits into R, L, and C (speaker wire) to go into an amplifier.

Here is an image I found online of the exact media receiver model:

Clearly it has little connectivity for what I'm looking for.

The Bose manual states that amplifiers rated 4-8 ohms are acceptable.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
397 Posts

I had a whole long response typed out with links and everything, then something happened and I lost it all.

So now for the short version.

Bose speakers to Bose Bass Module to a 5.1 AVR with HDMI out to the Pio's HDMI in.  Then you will need to run the Pio's L&R Audio out back to the AVR.

It seems kinda convoluted, but as it is, that all I can figure out.

In you first post you mention the Red and Black speaker connectors.  Which device has those?  It is possible that device could be used as a receiver, but if they only have two (L & R), then you would miss out on the other surround channels.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see,

the red and black speaker connections are on the back of the pioneer plasma monitor. But yes, there's only 2 channels on that IIRC.

Well, although the speakers come as 5.1, it isn't imperative to have them operating on 5 channels. If this would prevent the need of an AVR then it would in fact be great.

The room isn't really made for the correct placement of 5.1 in the home theater sense anyways and music may be a bigger priority.

If I still needed an AVR to set up as you suggested in your post, do you know any that you can recommend?

·
Registered
397 Posts

Aarrgghh, it happened again.  I lost what I was typing.  I was going to assume that it was operator error, however, since it happened again, clearly it must be a computer thing...yeah, yeah, that's it!

Anyway, you would only need an AVR if you wanted to use the Bose system and/or implement surround sound.  Otherwise, you forgo the entire Bose system and just connect the floor standing speakers to the Plasma.

As far as recommendations go, I am not the best one to ask.  My AVR is from the early 2k's and I have no plans on upgrading anytime soon.  However, things to look for are 5.1 at a minimum, networking capabilities, and multiple HDMI inputs.

I would also recommend scrolling through the "AMPs, Receivers, and Processors" forum here .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I don't necessarilly need 5 channels, but the use of the Bose speakers would generally provide a better spacing of the audio. I would prefer the sound from multiple sources than from just 2 floor standing speakers.

Would it be possible to place multiple speaker cable channels into one output? I.e., Left, Left surround all go into the left port?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts