Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My main system is currently the HK 510/Parasound 855A driving 4 Wharfedale Emerald 97 towers and a Yamaha CC. 2 Channel sources include an HK CDR20 and a JVC 70BK DVD player.

What is the cleanest way to incorporate a Stereo PreAmp into an existing HT? Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
One way is:

Connect your 2-channel sources to the stereo preamp. Connect the preamp outputs for the front L & R channels from the 510 to the stereo preamp. Connect the preamp outputs to the 855A.

Set volume as you desire for the 2-channel sources.

But for HT use, you'll have to turn the preamp volume and rebalance your channel volume settings on the 510. For example, you might find that if you set the volume control on the preamp to exactly 6 on a 0-10 scale (I'm just picking numbers here), that you can balance the front L & R speakers by setting the 510 volume balance to +2 for both.

You'll have to experiment a little. Find a setting on the preamp that you can retune to quickly and where the 510's balance settings are between -6 to +6. If it can be done with the preamp volume lined up right on a "tick mark" then you can switch back and forth pretty easy. Just back sure you don't start out one of your 2-channel sources without turning the preamp volume down.

Tom B.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Using Tom's connection method;

In many cases, the volume position of the 2-channel preamp for HT use is the 12 o'clock position (what we call unity gain, i.e. pass the signal without altering the gain level).

When calibrating the speakers for HT with the SPL meter, simply adjust the HK510 to produce the 75dB (or 85dB) calibration tone and adjust the 850's volume control to get it in the right dB range.

You might first set the HK510 to it's calibration reference volume (0) if that is possible.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tom, Bruce,

Thanks a million for the tips. This forum is a gold mine that never runs out of wealth. I believe the 850 has the standard 11--->1 o'clock gain adjustment range.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.