AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently read John Sciacca's article "Back to the Future" where he suggests adding Sonos Connect to your existing whole house audio video distribution systems in order to get today's streaming capability from your iphone / ipad, laptop, etc. I have been using Apple TV with my Russound along with a digital to analog audio converter for this exact same streaming functionality, does the Sonos Connect offer any more functionality than what I am currently using?

·
Registered
157 Posts
There are a few difference some which may or may not be perceived to be a benefit. Larger it's probably a wash. Sonos' large benefit is dead simple reliability and controllability with almost any network connected device (computer, iPhone, iPad, Android, iTouch, etc)

I'd say if you are happy with what you have now you probably won't gain too much. If you have dropout issue or want to have multiple users able to access the system to control it Sonos could offer you some benefit. As for the music selection it's going to be somewhat of a wash.

1. Sonos uses it's own network and thus is deemed to be more reliable than Apple's network connection (which can have dropouts)

1a - One sonos must be hard wire connected though, so you either have to hardwire connect a Sonos bridge or the Sonos connect amp.

2. Sonos can be controlled by it's own app, which is nice if you aren't on an apple system at home. If you walk away with your phone as the source then the system will lose it source. Sonos is the source and is accessible by anyone with the Sonos controller app or webpage.

2a - if you are on an apple system at home using the Sonos app could be perceived as a little more clunky than simply sliding up the multi tasking menu and directing that you want your audio to go to/ through you apple TV

2b Since Sonos is using an app and it's own network it doesn't require you/ your phone/ iPod touch to act as it's source. Meaning less battery drain as well as no worry if your phone, iPod or iPad become disconnected with the network.

There are probably some other minor difference but these seem to the main ones. I'm current in the build phase and am "designing" my system. I've done much reading on an airplay setup vs a Sonos setup. The large benefits of Sonos start to come out when you are talking multi room. This is where the reliability and sync between players really allows the Sonos to shine over the Airplay which require a few tweaks to perform in a similar fashion.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your detailed feedback on this. I think I'll stay the course. I do have dropout issues but it's due to an older router which I plan to upgrade as well as walking away too far from the router which can also be controlled. Other than that it works great and I can source any music or video from my iPad \ iPhone and so can any other person with a handheld device and access to my wifi network.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.