AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it would be problematic to my amp if I were to hook up a Polk PSW10 in parallel with a set of tower speakers? I would like the speakers to remain full range, so I don't want to run the signal to the sub, then on to the speakers as that would engage the sub's x-over. This is a late 80's separates system, pre-amp/amp, 2x100w made by Harmon Kardon, no sub pre-out. I'm just attempting to help out on the bottom end a little. I'm pretty sure the amp is 4ohm stable, (I'll check), so I'm guessing this won't be a problem. Anyone have any idea what kind of impedance the speaker-level inputs to a powered subwoofer would show? the speakers are large 3-way towers, (made by JBL, tweeter, 5" mid, 12" woofer).

Not looking for a critique of my choice of equipment here! I know that Polk is a small underpowered sub, but this is just for music, to fill out the lower end, (and I'm paying $50 for it).

·
Vendor
5,851 Posts
That should work fine. The input impedance on speaker inputs(on powered subs) is usually designed so it doesn't show the upstream device(receiver here) any actual "load".

Tom V.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel  /t/1521156/adding-a-sub-to-an-old-stereo-setup#post_24444222

That should work fine. The input impedance on speaker inputs(on powered subs) is usually designed so it doesn't show the upstream device(receiver here) any actual "load".

Tom V.

perfect, thanks! that's what I was hoping to hear

1 - 3 of 3 Posts