AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a denon receiver and definitive technology bp 7006's . I mainly use my system for music , and I know that music is supposed to be played in 2 channels. I have thought about adding a subwoofer because I feel the bass is missing a little in my music. Im not sure if adding an external sub would enhance the music or not. Im sure it would be great with movies, but I am more concerned with music. Any thoughts?? On a side note.. I recently had a friend come over and he positioned my speakers differently wow , big difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,809 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0425antgray /forum/post/19649163


I recently had a friend come over and he positioned my speakers differently wow , big difference.

Speaker placement can make a huge difference. I look into that, and room treatments, before spending on anything else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok . when you say room treatments, what do you mean, what are some ideal conditions. My system is in our living room, its a very large room with vaulted ceilings, and hardwood floors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,809 Posts
start with bass traps - google it, or look around here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0425antgray /forum/post/19649163


I have a denon receiver and definitive technology bp 7006's . I mainly use my system for music , and I know that music is supposed to be played in 2 channels. I have thought about adding a subwoofer because I feel the bass is missing a little in my music. Im not sure if adding an external sub would enhance the music or not. Im sure it would be great with movies, but I am more concerned with music. Any thoughts?? On a side note.. I recently had a friend come over and he positioned my speakers differently wow , big difference.

Each of the BP 7006's has an 8" woofer, two 8" radiators, and a 300W amp. All together, not too shabby. I'd look first into the AVR--does it have some tone controls? Maybe an equalizer? That could help a lot.


While you found placing them differently helped a lot, there may still be more to be gained there. What's the room shape, where are the speakers, and where do you sit?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0425antgray /forum/post/19649163


I have a denon receiver and definitive technology bp 7006's . I mainly use my system for music , and I know that music is supposed to be played in 2 channels. I have thought about adding a subwoofer because I feel the bass is missing a little in my music. Im not sure if adding an external sub would enhance the music or not. Im sure it would be great with movies, but I am more concerned with music. Any thoughts?? On a side note.. I recently had a friend come over and he positioned my speakers differently wow , big difference.

How were they place before to how they are now? What Denon AVR do you have? Are the fronts set to large? If not try that. Also check the sub gain on your speaker. It should be at noon in most cases. If you got the funds, I'd invest in a nice sub for sure
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
807 Posts
If you're not happy with the way music sounds, it's probaby because those aren't very good 2-channel listening speakers. Smeared is the best way to describe them, no focus to the imaging or soundstage. Your best bet would be to sell them and start with a new pair of mains.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You know one thing I did not mention is that my speakers bass really sounds phenomenal when I watch a DVD or blu ray. I just cant seem to get the bass to come alive like I want it to with music. But I do think they have a very open, ambient quality, which Im interested in. I hear things I never heard before on CDs when I play music. I agree they are definitely not as focused as some speakers are(klipsch,paradigm etc..). Having said that, I would just simply like a tad more bass, like the sound of the BP7002's. Those are awesome. They are out of my price range though. My receiver is a Denon AVR 890, and I will look into some of the tone controls to make adjustments.The fronts are set to large. I messed with the dynamic EQ on the receiver and I think it may have helped with some clarity. Im not exactly sure. The speakers are in a Large living room that is rectangular shaped. It has vaulted ceilings maybe reaching 15 to 18ft, and hardwood floor. We have a flat screen on a tv stand against the wall, and on each side of the tv stand was where I originally put the speakers . They were about a foot away from the wall. I would sit on a couch on the other side of the room, and listen from there. My buddy told me to pull the speakers farther away from the wall and sit in my chair in the MIDDLE of the room closer to the speakers. I also toed in the speakers so that they were pointing directly at me. I heard an improvement with soundstage, mids/highs, and clarity. I do have my receiver set to NO SUBWOOFER, and I am not using the LFE INPUT on the speakers, maybe I should look into that. Im done babbling. did not mean to write this much,thanks for the insight. lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am interested in the definitive technology supercube II subwoofer. Again, I'm happy with the sound quality now that I know I can adjust speaker placement and settings on the denon. If its possible for my existing system to sound better then Ill do what I need to. Thanks everyone for the comments!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
913 Posts
Yeah my recommendations would be to work on the room first,bplacing panels along the walls in the and immediate side walls would help reduce un wanted reflections. The bp towers have more image and focus than they're acredited to. Most people have the misconception that they create nulls as well.


The orientation of the powered subs should be facing outward this keeps them from canceling each other out and reduces standing waves too.


I would do 1in thick panels like acoustimac (isve ordered some due to room being too lively) and place them 2ft part across the wall behind the towers. We don't want the choke the bipolar effect here, just tame it. If you feel its too much spread the panels more and consider placing diffusive panels between them.


Bass traps in the corners will help tighten up the lower fs and keep it clean. I'd also recommend aurualex subdudes for the towers, this will keep the bass from interacting with the room and cause unwanted vibrations. (Unless you like me have plaster walls with brick underneath!)


Also consider upgrading to a receiver with more power and audyssey multeq xt I have had tremendous benefit from it with both movies and 2ch. I'd recommend a tx-sr805 used they go for $350-500 also consider the 875 or 1007 both can for $500-600 or so used.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by khellandros66
Yeah my recommendations would be to work on the room first,bplacing panels along the walls in the and immediate side walls would help reduce un wanted reflections. The bp towers have more image and focus than they're acredited to. Most people have the misconception that they create nulls as well.


The orientation of the powered subs should be facing outward this keeps them from canceling each other out and reduces standing waves too.


I would do 1in thick panels like acoustimac (isve ordered some due to room being too lively) and place them 2ft part across the wall behind the towers. We don't want the choke the bipolar effect here, just tame it. If you feel its too much spread the panels more and consider placing diffusive panels between them.


Bass traps in the corners will help tighten up the lower fs and keep it clean. I'd also recommend aurualex subdudes for the towers, this will keep the bass from interacting with the room and cause unwanted vibrations. (Unless you like me have plaster walls with brick underneath!)


Also consider upgrading to a receiver with more power and audyssey multeq xt I have had tremendous benefit from it with both movies and 2ch. I'd recommend a tx-sr805 used they go for $350-500 also consider the 875 or 1007 both can for $500-600 or so used.
sounds like a plan, I will look into the options. Thanks!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anyone know what I should set the crossover frequency to on my denon avr 890. The manual said to set this according to the low frequency reproduction capabilities of your speakers. I looked at the specs for my bp 7006's and was not sure. I just set it for 250hz. I also re ran audyssey set up and, I lowered the Reference level offset to 0dB. I will continue to study my denon manual and make sure Im not leaving anything out. Thanks everyone for saving me some time and money. Any more ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
913 Posts
For the bp7006s I would say 120hz that's crossover point from the 4.5in mids to the sub. Anything lower would offer no benefit and higher would mean you would have null in the fs needing fixed w/ audyssey


Pretty sure its


Bp7006 = 120hz

Bp7004,7002 = 80hz

Bp7001 and 7000 its 60 or 80hz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you everyone. I adjusted the crossover frequency to 120 and that definitely added more bass, and I also looked at "Batpigs Denon to English" for a wonderful insight on my denon receiver! I was so happy to find someone translate that crazy manual!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0425antgray /forum/post/0


Thank you everyone. I adjusted the crossover frequency to 120 and that definitely added more bass, and I also looked at "Batpigs Denon to English" for a wonderful insight on my denon receiver! I was so happy to find someone translate that crazy manual!!

Search eBay for bp7002 Baja is selling bp7002 at a blow out price. States refurbished but my clr3000 I bought looks brand new and never used.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Man, I got my speakers sounding great with music but when I was watching blu Ray, the bass was too much for my built in subs to handle.I guess I have to have different settings on my receiver when I watch movies. I have the bass control on the speakers themselves at 1:00, and the crossover on the receiver is set at 120. Maybe I should adjust these. And the reason I felt the bass was too much was because I could hear one of the woofers rattle and make a faint popping sound. What worried me was the other speaker did not have a problem.hope I'm not overreacting, may have just been too much going to the sub. Any opinions appretiated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by truwarrior22
Search eBay for bp7002 Baja is selling bp7002 at a blow out price. States refurbished but my clr3000 I bought looks brand new and never used.
hey thanks Ill check into it, Ive heard them before and they rock!
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top