Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have both my IDE slots occupied by 2 DVD Drives and 2 Hard Drives

Is it necessary to purchase a PCI IDE card to add a third hard drive or am I missing something?

MSI 865 NEO2 Motherboard.

·
Registered
327 Posts
You got it. 2 IDE devices per IDE controller and your moboard probably has only 2 controllers. One of my 3 drives came with a (probably cheapo) PCI 133 controller card and I popped it in no prob.

matt

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Wormzer,

So next question(s)

1. What kind of specs am I looking for in a PCI IDE card ?

2. What kind of price range should I expect?

3. Where should I look?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is from my motherboard

On-Board IDE

* Dual Ultra DMA 66/ 100 IDE controllers integrated in ICH5

- Supports PIO, Bus Master operation modes

- Can connect up to 4 Ultra ATA drives

* Serial ATA/ 150 controller integrated in ICH5

- Up to 150MB/s transfer speed

- Can connect up to 2 Serial ATA drives

Does this mean I can connect an additional ATA drive without getting a card?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Nettleman,

You're maxed out on ATA devices, though you do have the option of adding SATA devices (2). Caution, SATA is more expensive than ATA. I noticed this week that CompUSA was having a nice after rebate sale on a large capacity SATA drive.

If you go to buy another drive, a lot of the Maxtor high-capacity ATA drives (250 gig & such) currently have an IDE ATA/133 card included with the package. Retail for a card like that is currently $30 - $50, but you can probably pick one up on eBay for cheap (a lot people that have bought large drives and got them free are dumping them there).

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Another option is to buy a Serial-Parallel ATA convertor (my NF7-S included one with my motherboard package). Then you can use a normal ATA HD and attach it to your SATA controller.

Newegg has these for ~$20. So, if you just want to add 1 or two more hard drives, these might be the way to go since you don't have to waste a PCI slot. However, if you want to add 3 or 4 more, an add on controller card will work better.

Ozy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Using SATA drives on a system without a SATA complient power supply can be a bit tricky. You need to use power converters.

The best option is to look at MAXTOR SATA drives. The have the ATA power connector as well as the SATA power connector.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Your other option (besides SATA or PCI IDE card) is to go with an external USB/firewire box. That's what I've got. My Toshiba 1612 is located in a ADS kit connected via firewire and then 4 hard drives are hooked up to the IDE controllers.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chrontek
Using SATA drives on a system without a SATA complient power supply can be a bit tricky. You need to use power converters.

The best option is to look at MAXTOR SATA drives. The have the ATA power connector as well as the SATA power connector.
I believe the adapter at Newegg comes with a power converter as well...though I could be wrong.

Ozy

·
Registered
334 Posts
Is it really that easy? The ide controller cards don't override the onboard controller, so you can basically put as many ide controller cards in your mobo as you have room for them?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.