AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this may be a splitter question really. I'm helping my father in law finish his basement and he has one existing wall jack in the one room that was completly finished.

He'd like to add two more coax runs in two other unfinished rooms. Can we place a splitter in the existing jack in what is the existing office upstairs and run two new runs from the splitter through the floor? Is there a certain splitter to use?

A better method? He has no plans other than for future cable/sat connectivity

·
Registered
117 Posts
You can, but be aware that you might have signal loss. This is a simplified explanation, but with every split that you make, you are basically lowering the signal to each one by half (and a bit more).

We actually have this solution in our upstairs (original, run through attic to room 1 and 2), and ran into signal loss problems 2-3 weeks ago when adding more devices to our system.

Btw, splitting from that jack or from the outside source, same difference really unless your source has an amplifier attached. The only real difference is that you either lower the signal to the whole house, or lower it to the three sources you mentioned (original, new room 1, new room 2).

Instead of using a splitter, I would do the split with a coax signal amplifier. You can find them online, or actually in this case I found one at BB that was just as good and cheap as the ones I found on the 'net. They do require power.

·
Registered
880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMass03 /forum/post/16920047

I guess this may be a splitter question really. I'm helping my father in law finish his basement and he has one existing wall jack in the one room that was completly finished.

He'd like to add two more coax runs in two other unfinished rooms. Can we place a splitter in the existing jack in what is the existing office upstairs and run two new runs from the splitter through the floor? Is there a certain splitter to use?

A better method? He has no plans other than for future cable/sat connectivity

Be careful as some Sat signals need particular splitters.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyKat /forum/post/16920160

You can, but be aware that you might have signal loss. This is a simplified explanation, but with every split that you make, you are basically lowering the signal to each one by half (and a bit more).

We actually have this solution in our upstairs (original, run through attic to room 1 and 2), and ran into signal loss problems 2-3 weeks ago when adding more devices to our system.

Btw, splitting from that jack or from the outside source, same difference really unless your source has an amplifier attached. The only real difference is that you either lower the signal to the whole house, or lower it to the three sources you mentioned (original, new room 1, new room 2).

Instead of using a splitter, I would do the split with a coax signal amplifier. You can find them online, or actually in this case I found one at BB that was just as good and cheap as the ones I found on the 'net. They do require power.

Ok, all existing coax runs come from the box outside, run through the garage and terminate midway between the existing first floor and existing second.

My thought was to use the existing run that is in the home office since I can drill from the basement beneath. If that method works the signal amplifier would be attached to the existing home office run?

So... Existing Home Office run ---> signal amplifier ---> two new lines for two basement rooms?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yes, exactly. You could also try it with just a splitter to begin with and see if the signal is strong enough, and then add the booster if necessary.

So, setup is Home Office Run -> splitter/booster -> Home Office jack, basement 1 run, basement 2 run.

Do you have cable or sat? I am not as sure of what to do with sat as we are a cable household...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyKat /forum/post/16926324

Yes, exactly. You could also try it with just a splitter to begin with and see if the signal is strong enough, and then add the booster if necessary.

So, setup is Home Office Run -> splitter/booster -> Home Office jack, basement 1 run, basement 2 run.

Do you have cable or sat? I am not as sure of what to do with sat as we are a cable household...

It is DISH sat. Only the existing basement run is hooked up to sat right now. I'm not sure if the other two new runs would be. He has two rooms upstairs that have sat (bedrooms) that are not being used so I think those will be switched if possible to the new basement runs

·
Registered
78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMass03 /forum/post/17415382

It is DISH sat. Only the existing basement run is hooked up to sat right now. I'm not sure if the other two new runs would be. He has two rooms upstairs that have sat (bedrooms) that are not being used so I think those will be switched if possible to the new basement runs

Well that changes everything. You can't put a standard cable amp on a satellite feed. You also can't split a satellite feed - each box needs it's own feed from the multiswitch. You can cascade multiswitches, but you have to get cascadable multiswitches.

If you want you can try using the cable amps, etc - but make sure you can return them.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfsnake /forum/post/17415438

Well that changes everything. You can't put a standard cable amp on a satellite feed. You also can't split a satellite feed - each box needs it's own feed from the multiswitch. You can cascade multiswitches, but you have to get cascadable multiswitches.

If you want you can try using the cable amps, etc - but make sure you can return them.

Well that is good to know. He has two receivers right now, a VIP 622 and a 322. The 622 feeds the main living room and his office in the basement (existing run). The 322 is in his bedroom and he wants to run the TV2 from the 322 to the basement. Both of the TV2s are backfed using the existing in house cabling system

·
Registered
78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMass03 /forum/post/17415483

Well that is good to know. He has two receivers right now, a VIP 622 and a 322. The 622 feeds the main living room and his office in the basement (existing run). The 322 is in his bedroom and he wants to run the TV2 from the 322 to the basement. Both of the TV2s are backfed using the existing in house cabling system

Ah well - to my recolection, DishNet Rcvrs have a TV2 output that is usually composite. THIS you CAN run to another tv. You can even use RG6 and with the proper tools (Tributaries Cable makes one) and proper fittings, you can turn it into a composite video cable. The same can be done with audio, but not with coaxial cable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts