AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the HK 354 with bose acoustimass 10 (I know I should of done more research, wouldn't be writing this post) and I'm wondering if its possible to add any more speakers, I was thinking about some bookshelf size for front left and right.

I'm not familiar about the pre amp outputs on the back of the unit or the 6/8 channel inputs, what is that used for?

If I wanted to scrap the bose 10 speakers, what would be the best alternative within that price range? Room is an issue, I need them on the wall, atleast the fronts.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
HK 354:

The pre amp outputs are used if you add external amplifiers to your system, you are not doing that so they will not have anything connected to them.

The channel inputs are used with a DVD player (or other device) that has multi channel analog audio outputs. Chances are you will not use these either if your DVD player (or other devices) have HDMI or optical / coaxial digital audio output.

The manual explains these connections http://www.harmankardon.com/resource...l/AVR354OM.pdf

Bose Acoustimas 10:

This speaker system is designed to be used together.

However the acoustimas module does have a LFE input so it looks like it is possible to disconnect all of the speaker inputs except the LFE and then connect different speakers directly to the AVR speaker ouputs.

Could you provide some details about why you are wanting to add speakers ?

From the questions you are asking it seems like this is your first higher quality audio system. Since you don't have a "better" reference point what is this setup lacking for you?

Even though the Bose is ripped apart on the forum its not as bad as some let on.

If you connected it per the instructions it should sound pretty good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I' have everything connected right, I took my time and even had a pro check it out from the store where I bought this setup from.

Now that I had this for a year, I seem to notice a lack of midrange sounds from this setup, unless I might be wrong. The sub sounds actually pretty good for the size that it is, hight frequency is ok too but mostly its the talking in the movies that is quiet, and when action explodes it gets really loud. I have to keep remote in my hand to control volume. I've raised the volume on the centre channel it helped somewhat. Overall it sounds as if the talking happens in another room with a door a little opened, I expected more clear "crystal" like sound. Only blueray movies sound allright.

I have set the speakers to large, and I use cinema DTS neo 6 setting for audio on my HK, someone mentioned that stereo fixes the low volume on the centre.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
OK, I thought that this might be a new purchase and you were having difficulty getting it setup.

I doubt that it would hurt anything to hook the cubes directly to the receiver, but I also doubt that that it will really help either... since nothing is published about the impedence of the cubes damage to the AVR cannot be completely ruled out.

I guess I am saying if something breaks don't blame me for it.... :)

What is your budget for new speakers ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, if I can sell the bose to my friend or whoever, excelent condition not sure what I can get, I can than add a few more hundred and get something else. I'm guessing around 1000-1200? But than again I don't mind paying a bit more if I know I'm getting something decent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.