AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if it's possible to add an MQA-capable DAC to an existing system, let the MQA DAC decode the MQA part and let the existing higher grade DAC does the rest. If I can only use the MQA DAC for the whole system, I believe when playing MQA content, a non-MQA-capable but high-quality DAC gives better final sound quality than an MQA-capable but overall lower graded DAC.

For example, the AudioQuest Dragonfly is capable of MQA decoding but I don't think its overall performance as a DAC can match higher-quality DAC for example the Parasound Halo Integrated. Is it possible to use the Dragonfly to decode the MQA part and pass through the rest of the DAC job to Parasound, or all DAC can only be done within one device (in which case you have to use analog out from the MQA DAC)?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I was wondering if it's possible to add an MQA-capable DAC to an existing system, let the MQA DAC decode the MQA part and let the existing higher grade DAC does the rest. If I can only use the MQA DAC for the whole system, I believe when playing MQA content, a non-MQA-capable but high-quality DAC gives better final sound quality than an MQA-capable but overall lower graded DAC.

For example, the AudioQuest Dragonfly is capable of MQA decoding but I don't think its overall performance as a DAC can match higher-quality DAC for example the Parasound Halo Integrated. Is it possible to use the Dragonfly to decode the MQA part and pass through the rest of the DAC job to Parasound, or all DAC can only be done within one device (in which case you have to use analog out from the MQA DAC)?
My understanding is MQA is for streaming and you simply need a device (or software) to decode it, then it can be played directly (for example Tidal Desktop App on a Computer). I'm not sure why you would want to add another DAC in line as it's not going to put anything in that wasn't there in the first place? Of course, if you have locally streamed Hi-Res files that the AudioQuest can't handle then adding a DAC to suit the source would make sense

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My understanding is MQA is for streaming and you simply need a device (or software) to decode it, then it can be played directly (for example Tidal Desktop App on a Computer). I'm not sure why you would want to add another DAC in line as it's not going to put anything in that wasn't there in the first place? Of course, if you have locally streamed Hi-Res files that the AudioQuest can't handle then adding a DAC to suit the source would make sense
Although the AudioQuest can decode MQA, I'm concerned it's not competent enough when compared to higher-end DAC. Playing supposedly better-sounding MQA tracks on the Audioquest vs playing on non-MQA-capable but higher-end DAC could be like playing lossless tracks on a $1k system vs playing 320kbps on a $10k system, in which case the latter will sound better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts