AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read in a post a week or so ago stating that Walter Allen suggested that the 4600 would not benifit by the addition of color corrected c-elements.

Well, he is wrong or mis-quoted. I just finished carefully cleaning all the LC couplings and the best of the three clear c-elements which was installed in the blue. I put in a brand new red and a used green c-element with new Ashland Chemicals projection coolant. All I can say is stunning. I thought the color before the servicing was pretty damn good. Not as good as my NEC, but decent. After the cleaning and color correction, the fleshtones rival the NEC. Grass is greener and the reds are blood. No orangey reds.

Now if I only had the correct lenses, I could sharpen up the image even more. I'm useing HD-10GT17's where HD-10L's should be. I think this beastie is a keeper... I set it up tonight so I could watch the Red Sox beat the Yankee's in HD. Wouldn't you know it, it's raining.

Terry, wheres my lenses???:D

Chip

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
That was me, but never said Allen said that. Only that I wanted to buy some from them and his reply was "the 4600 never came with them" which is true.

That leads me to think they never even tried them, which is kind of weird in itself. Maybe brightness was all the concern with them. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've never seen any Ampro model color corrected?

Subjectively on mine the green looks like it may need it, but the red is red, not orange or even close to it. An Ehome 8000 is orange for sure.

I set up a 1292 in the same room (has red/grn C elements) same input's to both for a comparison. Nothing scientific or anything.

I,ll have to try it, but what would be nice is an actual color analyzer to see where it is.

David

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of the 4000G's that I had last year had a green c-element. The projector was junk as one of the tubes leaked coolant all over the electronics and the green tube was shorted. I saved the two other tubes and the green c-element for future use. Anyway, you don't need instruments to see the improvement. It is way obvious.

Chip

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.