AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current setup consists of infinity Interlude IL 40 R/L and Klipsch Quintet iii for center and rear surround (5.1). I'm thinking of getting the Def tech pro center 1000 for a beter "center" experience. I know that it's not advised to mix different brand speakers due to timber matching and what have you. I think my system sounds pretty decent with what I have now (although not a very experienced audiophile).

Any opinions on how this would be with going the Def Tech route? I know a complete Def Tech set-up would be ideal, but the new Tv, ps3, sub, Denon, htpc, etc, pretty much eliminates funds for that.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1V1D /forum/post/18314288

My current setup consists of infinity Interlude IL 40 R/L and Klipsch Quintet iii for center and rear surround (5.1). I'm thinking of getting the Def tech pro center 1000 for a beter "center" experience. I know that it's not advised to mix different brand speakers due to timber matching and what have you. I think my system sounds pretty decent with what I have now (although not a very experienced audiophile).

Any opinions on how this would be with going the Def Tech route? I know a complete Def Tech set-up would be ideal, but the new Tv, ps3, sub, Denon, htpc, etc, pretty much eliminates funds for that.

Thanks.

If you like the sounds of def-tech more then your current set of speakers my suggestion is to save up until you can at least buy your front 3. Since you have a PS3, I assume you will be gaming and games use the directional effects much more then movies do. You will most likely notice a big difference as the camera moves in game.

Save up, and when you can get the front 3, you will be happy you waited.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Its your plan that's important.

While you're putting together a system or upgrading an existing one, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Living with a mismatched setup isn't so bad when you know you're going to end up with everything you want.

So make sure you are getting the center channel that is the match to the other speakers that are in your plan.

The PC1000 is the matching center to the PM800 speakers. Were you going to have satellite mains?

What mains or front L/R speakers are you looking at in the future?

·
Registered
Revel M22 & C32, JBL P520WS, Revel W563 & Infinity ERS 110II, SVS SB-2000 (x2), Anthem MRX 720
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldoCombs /forum/post/18315945

I like your current mains better than the DefTechs I've heard, if your plan is to keep them look for an Infinity IL36C or win this bid: INFINITY IL25C

Ron

Totally agree. The IL40s, although somewhat aged, are very good tower speakers.

E.g., http://www.theaudiocritic.com/back_i...ritic_27_r.pdf

Infinity still uses the CMMD tweeter in its high end models and a lower end derivitive of the other CMMD drivers -- MMD -- is used in the acclaimed entry level Primus line. The IL40s aren't as sleek and sexy as the newer mid-level Classia line, but sonically, they have to be close.

I would find a matching interlude center as Ron suggested -- they show up regularly on Ebay and Audiogon and Craigslist.

If you want to upgrade down the road, fine, just follow the other posters' advice about planning the front three from the same product line.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts