AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried adding a dvd componet input to their tv?I have a samung PLK-405w which I love,but I also have a Denon DVD2800 which I'd like to use the progressive function.Now,I know that my samsung has a built in line doubler but I'm suspecting that the Denons is just a wee bit better than what samsung put in the TV.Does anyone know of a reputable TV technician whom could do such a thing and is it even possible?Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
21,431 Posts
This is one I haven't heard of. And what it would likely cost would probably be uneconomical and would be better put towards a new video display with component inputs.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Agreed, too expensive and that's if you can find someone willing to do it. Are you using Svideo? I have done some tests and was quite surprised at the LACK of difference between component and Svideo on DVD. Sure there was a difference, but not nearly as great as I expected. Now composite video is a different story.

If you like your TV and it has Svideo, I would just keep using it until you want to upgrade to HDTV. I wouldn't buy a new TV just for component DVD.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It doesn't make a whole lot of difference untill you are using the built in progressive scan on the Denon (one of the nicest pictures for under $1000) It would make a huge difference if he were to succede. but then again for what it would probably cost, he could get a new HD-RPTV (Mitsubishi is my fav.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think this should be possible and not too expensive.Labor would definitely be the $$$ part.But a simple exchange of inputs shouldn't be that technically hard.I don't think that adding the componet input to the newer tvs really added that much to their engineering or that they had to redesign much.To my common sense-brain this sounds like just some new inputs and some soldering and MAYBE a wire or two.But then I could be completely WRONG!Once again ,help!!!!Any electrical engineers w/tv experience out there??I'd love to save my tv(I have a small viewing room and my samsungs 13" depth doesn't eat up vital room space,yes I know,PLASMA but its still too expensive!!!!hopefully samsung one day releases their long delayed new FLCD tvs but I ain't gonna hold my breath on that one!

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wiseguy
I think this should be possible and not too expensive.Labor would definitely be the $$$ part.But a simple exchange of inputs shouldn't be that technically hard.I don't think that adding the componet input to the newer tvs really added that much to their engineering or that they had to redesign much.To my common sense-brain this sounds like just some new inputs and some soldering and MAYBE a wire or two.But then I could be completely WRONG!Once again ,help!!!!Any electrical engineers w/tv experience out there??I'd love to save my tv(I have a small viewing room and my samsungs 13" depth doesn't eat up vital room space,yes I know,PLASMA but its still too expensive!!!!hopefully samsung one day releases their long delayed new FLCD tvs but I ain't gonna hold my breath on that one!
Modification Outline:

1) Can the RGB path be accessed before the CRT?. Some TV's have large integrated circuits and the junction points you need are inside that chip.

2) The DVD is Y,RY,BY. That needs to be transcoded to RGB and the sync extracted. This also needs to be clamped if you expect good quality.

3) Can external sync signals easily be injected into the set's deflection circuits?

4) Is the internal power supply of the right voltage for the additional circuits? Does it have enough reserve current to power them?

5) If all these items are satisfied, yoy will still need a multi-pole switch to select component versus the set's internal decoder.

It's possible but not just a few wires. It's easy to do in the design phase as you indicated. But much more difficult after the fact.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks,that sounds interesting...Now I just need to know whom to go to to see if this could be done???Anyone got recommendations for top calibre tv techs???I'm willing to spend $500 or so on this upgrade.All the info is appreciated so far!!!!!Thanks again!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Glimmie and my TV is not a CRT its a Samsung PLK-405w which is a front projector w an LCD screen.It has a lamp.It has a componet input but won't accept progressive signals.The next model the SLK-407w does.But samsung didn't sell alot of these Tv's,so I'm guessing that they didn't blow a wad on enegineering between the two models!It has an internal line doubler(if I try to run my dvd players progressive input I get a split screen)Could you recommend someone on the East Coast???Thanks!

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wiseguy
Thanks Glimmie and my TV is not a CRT its a Samsung PLK-405w which is a front projector w an LCD screen.It has a lamp.It has a componet input but won't accept progressive signals.The next model the SLK-407w does.But samsung didn't sell alot of these Tv's,so I'm guessing that they didn't blow a wad on enegineering between the two models!It has an internal line doubler(if I try to run my dvd players progressive input I get a split screen)Could you recommend someone on the East Coast???Thanks!
Oh, so it has component inputs, you want then to be able to accept progressive, right?

This is a more difficult problem for CRT sets, It may not even be possible. Reason is that progressive scan runs at 31.5khz horizontal versus the 15.75khz for interlaced. In a CRT set the whole deflection and high voltage system would have to run at double frequency. Not likely to be possible. Yes, even cheap computer monitors can do this but they were designed that way from the ground up.

I know, you have an LCD projector. This is even more bad news. These units process the signals digitally to control the LCD pixels. Making this work at twice the H frequency or somehow bypassing the internal line doubler would require extensive software and some hardware changes. The tools to do that are unavailable to anyone outside the factory engineering deparments. I am refering to the source code for the logic and software inside the chips. This is not typical service manual information.

Steve,

Why not move this thread to the Plasma and LCD Screen section. They may have some ideas here.

·
Registered
21,431 Posts
Help. Is the LCD projector under or over $5,000 MSRP so I know what forum to copy it to???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.