AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this past weekend some questions about how I would place two Outlaw 2200-M monoblock amps on my A/V unit.

Someone questioned me (without giving any of his own thoughts) as to why I wanted to add two of these amps in the first place.

I remember the rich, full sound I got from my Infinity speakers when I first purchased them. At that time, they were powered by Adcom 2 channel separates. My current Yamaha RXV-2300 receiver is excellent for home theater but lacks for 2 channel stereo. I thought that purchasing separate amps for the two main channels would help me recapture what I had once had.

Am I right or are there no real benefits to adding external amplification?

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
More power/less heat

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've recently put a nad m25 master series power amp do my denon avc-a1xva.I never used to be a believer in power amps but ever since I bought the nad what a difference,clarity,warmth and more detail.Best decision I've ever done.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
If that's not a loaded question...

Of course there are benefits. However, whether or not that route will bring back what you think is missing is an entirely different question.

ss9001 eluded to some of the other points. What is your listening style? Loud, moderately loud, etc.?

See your other post.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 /forum/post/0

What is your listening style? Loud, moderately loud, etc.?

Why would anyone invest in quality audio equipement if they intend to play theirs low or moderate.

Sure, I like to play loud but not blasting. It is at these loud volumes that the highs many times sound a bit harsh and shrill with my current setup.

Again, I remember the warmth and richness in the highs that I had with Adcom. Same speakers, same listening room.

Like I stated before on my other post, I do not have much to lose if I try the Outlaw monoblock amps, and everything to gain.

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
capt:

I'd say go for it. A hi powered ext. amp helped with my Magnepans & taking the load of the fronts off the receiver would help with the center & surrounds. But with 2 channel, I definitely noticed an improvement with an ext. amp.

ss9001

·
Registered
42 Posts
Separate amps, separate amps, separate amps!!!! I have tried many top of the line multi-channel AV receiver amps over the years and ALWAYS reverted back to using the pre-outs so I could use my older separate amplifiers. For overall power and clarity... I haven't heard a AV receiver yet even come close to my old school separate amps......

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I seems that practically everyone is in agreement that separate amps would make an improvement over my A/V receiver's internal amps.

I think for the money, two Outlaw 2200-M monoblock amps totaling $624 with shipping would be my best bet.

That is what I'll be going for unless someone here can suggest something better in the same price range.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
I have yet to see an AVR that did not start to lose dynamics at or near sustained referece levels period.

A lot of AVR owners are in denial about this, because I used to be in denial about it too. I have seen the light so to speak.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnationdoormat /forum/post/0

I'm upgrading from a 50Wx7 Harman Kardon AVR 235 to a 200Wx7 Outlaw 7200.

The 7200 hasn't arrived yet, it'll be my first external amp, pondering whether I'll experience a difference myself...

IMO, you'll notice it at reference levels.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Upgrading to a poweramp for the front was a great upgrade for myself. I have a pair of Carver Silvers which drained an Onkyo and Denon 100 WPC receiver dry. At higher levels with dynamic music the lights on the Onkyo would dim and then the thing would shut off. My Denon was nice, but, it became very hot.

At a Sound Advice store I picked up a 150 watt B&K power amp on a close out years ago and used the Denon as a preamp for it. Big difference in sound and the Denon barely gets warm after hours of playing.

If you do this you extend the life of the reciever until you upgrade to some newer pre amp or maybe a reciever with HDMI switching. My Denon is now over 7 years old and with the close out price on the power amp I have made a sonic improvement which is real.

I hooked everything to a close out Monster Cable power unit so that when I turn on the Denon, the amp powers up. For my 13 x 17 foot room, this works out really nice. There are far more changes each year with the pre amp side of things than in the power amp side. You can keep your amps for years and not be afraid of them being obsolete if they are built well.

PKinSFLA

·
Registered
3,611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKinSFLA /forum/post/0

Upgrading to a poweramp for the front was a great upgrade for myself. I have a pair of Carver Silvers which drained an Onkyo and Denon 100 WPC receiver dry. At higher levels with dynamic music the lights on the Onkyo would dim and then the thing would shut off. My Denon was nice, but, it became very hot.

At a Sound Advice store I picked up a 150 watt B&K power amp on a close out years ago and used the Denon as a preamp for it. Big difference in sound and the Denon barely gets warm after hours of playing.

If you do this you extend the life of the reciever until you upgrade to some newer pre amp or maybe a reciever with HDMI switching. My Denon is now over 7 years old and with the close out price on the power amp I have made a sonic improvement which is real.

I hooked everything to a close out Monster Cable power unit so that when I turn on the Denon, the amp powers up. For my 13 x 17 foot room, this works out really nice. There are far more changes each year with the pre amp side of things than in the power amp side. You can keep your amps for years and not be afraid of them being obsolete if they are built well.

PKinSFLA

Thank god for close outs. What would you have done without them.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I ordered two Outlaw 2200-M monoblock amps last night. These were the ones I was interested in all along. They are affordable and I have read nothing but raves when it comes to Outlaw products.

This is my first dealing with Outlaw but was impressed that they sent me a nice email response to my question concerning placement of the amps. And this was during a time period when they were short-staffed.

Like I said before, I have very little to lose but everything to gain by trying them.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I use to use my retired Yamaha HTR for my two channel set up, but it seem to be lacking, so I bought a Crown XLS 402 and use the yammy as a pre amp. My speakers never sounded better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.