AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First of all if this is the wrong place for such a question , my apologies.

Mine is a 5.1 system ( see my sig.)
I just picked up a Denafrips Ares v1 that i am trying to add to my existing system.
This would be my first attempt at trying out an external DAC.
I am really just curious to see what difference an external DAC makes if any.

Wanted to run it by you guys to see the ideal and/or best way to incorporte this to my existing system before i start adding/swapping cables.

Hoping some one has walked this road before.
Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Once again my apologies if this is the wrong place to be asking such a question.

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/4b933e_06708de0bc8a4859ae4abef10d7792f0.pdf

Attachments

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I assume you mean external DAC instead of external amp on a couple of lines there.

Which AVR do you have?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume you mean external DAC instead of external amp on a couple of lines there.

Which AVR do you have?

Correct external DAC. Thanks for the catch. Corrected.
Marantz AV 7703

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Correct external DAC. Thanks for the catch. Corrected.
Marantz AV 7703

Ah nice, then your best bet is probably to connect the left and right RCA outputs to the analogue 7.1 inputs left and right RCA. That might be completly analogue through the AVR but im not sure.

If you want to use Audyssey then you might need to connect to another set of left and right RCA inputs.

Doesnt look like the 7703 have any XLR inputs.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah nice, then your best bet is probably to connect the left and right RCA outputs to the analogue 7.1 inputs left and right RCA. That might be completly analogue through the AVR but im not sure.

If you want to use Audyssey then you might need to connect to another set of left and right RCA inputs.

Doesnt look like the 7703 have any XLR inputs.

Thanks for the suggestion.

It does have XLR and this is being used to connect my Outlaw 7000x external amp.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-OY1f7suCPig/p_642AV7703/Marantz-AV7703.html#&gid=1&pid=2

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I'd look at the RME ADI-2 DAC. Made in Germany by RME a well known pro audio company. The DAC is basically built from it's pro audio model that's used in many recording studios. Also doubles as a headphone amp for both standard Headphones and for IEM's too. I've had mine for 2 years and haven't heard anything better. Check out Audio Science Review for complete specs and analysis on the DAC.:)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^^^
Will do.
Trying to lend my ear on this one first before venturing into something else.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ye but those are all outputs arent they, i know my 8805 have xlr inputs but didnt seen any on the 7703

My mistake. Yes you are correct.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Ye but those are all outputs arent they, i know my 8805 have xlr inputs but didnt seen any on the 7703

The RME has XLR connections. When I first heard it at my local dealers store the XLR's were connected to a Luxman integrated. Speakers were Spendor A7's. :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
With your speakers and amp, my guess is the Denafrips will give you little improvement. But I'm interested in hearing your experience.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am certainly going to give it a shot.

·
Registered
15,400 Posts
Since you have a sub(s) this implies to me you use digital circuitry inside the Marantz AV7703, at least for bass extraction out to the sub(s). [also DSP is used for Audyssey room correction EQ and speaker channel delays, "distances"] so this means if you connect an external DAC via analog connections the Marantz will re-digitize that incoming signal via an ADC in order to apply these digitally based adjustments.

So you aren't fully bypassing the internal DAC plus you are now passing through two DACs, and an ADC, whereas incoming digital signals to the Marantz [i.e., no use of an external DAC] would avoid these extra steps.

All these added steps may introduce added hum, hiss, distortion, and frequency response errors. Hopefully this added noise will be too low to notice.

"Pure Direct" will bypass this digital stuff for the analog inputs on the Marantz but then you have no sub out for stereo content, no distance correction, and no Audyssey room correction EQ, I think.

Reactions: Wayne A. Pflughaupt

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Since you have a sub this implies to me you use digital circuitry inside the Marantz AV7703. [also used for Audyssey room correction EQ and speaker channel delays, "distances"] so this means if you connect an external DAC via analog connections the Marantz will re-digitize that incoming signal via an ADC in order to apply these digitally based adjustments.

So you aren't fully bypassing the internal DAC plus you are now passing through two DACs, and an ADC, whereas incoming digital signals to the Marantz [i.e., no use of an external DAC] would avoid these extra steps.

All these added steps may introduce added hum, hiss, distortion, and frequency response errors. Hopefully this added noise will be too low to notice.

"Pure Direct" will bypass this digital stuff for the analog inputs on the Marantz but then you have no sub out for stereo content, no distance correction, and no Audyssey room correction EQ, I think.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.
To be quite honest i had played these scenarios in my head and could not quite come up with a seamless integration of the external DAC to the existing setup without necessarily compromising the existing sound with Audyssey engaged.
Crazy how this stuff can get messy real quick.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts