AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Usual disclaimer: Apologies if this is a repost, I already searched, blah blah blah

I am disappointed the 5k remotes lost the "input" button and modes (TV mode, RTV mode etc) since I need it for my upstairs TV.

I already built a JP1 a while back to resurrect my Showstopper remote that lost all its programming so I can use that if neccessary.

However, I am struggling to work out how to easily reprogram my 5000 remote to add back the "Input" function.

I need it to change my Panasonic TV input when the RTV is recording a channel and I want to watch a different channel through the cable splitter.

Currently I have to go and find the TV's original remote, press the TV/Video button, and then go back to the 5k remote again.

Can I teach the remote to replace the MUTE button for example with the INPUT code for my TV either with or without using the JP1?

I could buy a new learning remote I suppose but I'd like to use the 5k remote if possible.

If anyone can point me to a succinct and idiot proof way of doing this I'd be most grateful.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - that's not a bad idea at all.

4k remote is backlit too - better for the bedroom.

I assume it is a superset of the 5k remote - i.e. I am not giving anything else up by getting a 4k remote?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Wife hates the 5000 remote. Used to a 3000 remote. Same problem with the input button. Kids plan nintendo from one input and we want TV without getting off the couch and pushing buttons on the TV.

Several times I've thought about picking up a 3000 remote for the 5000.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mandingo
I just ordered a 4xxx remote from the RTV website for $29.99 - it's about the same price as a generic learning remote.
Yet it can do so much less than the One For All 8810w that one can get at Wal-mart for less than $20...

BTW, I haven't messed too much with the 5k remote with JP1 since I have the above mentioned OFA 8810w w/ JP1, but I would imagine that you could do what you want with JP1 and the 5k.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DiverDan
Isn't there a zone command to switch inputs, like 888?
If I read the OP correctly, he doesn't (at least not primarily) want the ability to change the input on the *ReplayTV*. He wants to be able to map a button on the ReplayTV 5000 remote to control the TV/Video input on his *TV*.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I'd cancel that order for the 4K remote. It has all the buttons that a 5000 has and a few more (input, bypass). The backlight is worthless and jokeworthy. The bypass doesn't work on the 5K (since the 5K can't do this). The only good thing is the input, but it's the Replay input, not the TV input, so it's almost worthless (at least for what you want).

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So the 4xxx is not a learning remote then?

p.s. I wish ReplayTV had a way to cancel from their web site - if this isn't the one I need now I have to phone to cancel the order.

If you can ORDER on the web let people CANCEL on the web too. Duh.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
OEM remotes are almost always not learning remotes. You can convert some of them with JP1 (I do believe). As was said above, it's a lot more useful to get an 8910 or whatever and then program by hand or with JP1 anything you want.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.