Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may not be a popular question, but here it goes:

I produce and sell wedding and high school graduation videos. I know there are lots of talks about defeating macrovision protections here.

Is there any simple way(s) to add some form of macrovision portections to my products so that the average buyer can't just buy one copy from me and make 50 tapes for friends or the rest of the class?

I spend hours on each video product and it just isn't fair losing all the potential sales. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I don't have any personal experience in this but I have read several identical posts in previous months and the replies were "FORGET IT"! The license and software are way over $1000. The only places that can afford it are production houses that do many thousands of copies.

Dave

·
Registered
600 Posts
I spend hours on each video product and it just isn't fair losing all the potential sales. Thanks[........]

Thats exactly what Hollywood and big Music are worried about;)

·
Registered
187 Posts
You can add macrovision very easy with a MAC I saw them do it on a older TV show on TECHTV called Call for help. YOu just click add macrovision very easy but there are different levels of macrovision layer one and layer 2. Layer one is used on VHS and layer 2 is used for DVD.

I really do not think its worth it. If your making DVDs and people will very easy find a way to get around it. Most people to sell to will just buy it only tech people are going to find a way to make a copy. It does not work for Hollywood and it not going to work for you. Sorry.

·
Registered
405 Posts
There is a way to add "Copy Never" CGMS flag on any video. This is not Macrovision but will be honored by most DVD recorders in the market.

You are probably more concerne with that kind of copy than, for example, having a VHS tape copy of your work right?

If you are interested on how to do this, check out http://home.cfl.rr.com/filter This device can be programmed to instruct the recorder to copy or not to copy the material.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all the responses above.

Logic Design: your link leads to a device that ALLOWS copying macrovision-protected material, right?

I am looking for the opposite, or what you said: adding "Copy Never" CGMS flag to any video HOW??? Thanks.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Just we well as the Video Filter allows you to make backup copies, it can easily be programmed to add any CGMS flag to the video. You can order it for that purpose only and all I need to do is change the firmware on it and it will do just that. Once you have your final edited master tape, you can then run the video through the filter as it is recorded to DVD. The resulting DVD master will have the "Copy Never" flag added to it.

If you want a filter that does both "Copy Always' or "Copy Never" flag, a swicth can be added to it to select between the two flags. It would cost $20 more than a regular price to add the switch but again, it can be done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.