AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang.

I just added an Xbox 360 to my network in the hopes of bringing the Win 7 Media Center Goodness to my bedroom TV. For watching live TV, recorded TV, music and pictures, it works great. However...

1)When streaming movies from my ripped DVD collection (VOB), or my home movie collection (AVCHD) - I get very choppy playback, that usually results in a complete freeze.

a) My primary Media Center Machine is int he Living Room, and is a well equipped Q6600 running Windows 7 64bit. The Network is a hardwired Gigabit Lan, and the only other TV is my bedroom (Xbox)

b) All of my libraries (except recorded TV) are located on a MediaSmart WHS, but even when I move them locally to the Living Room Media Center, I still get heavy stuttering on my 360 during playback

c) I tried renaming a VOB file to a MPG file, and it still choppes on the 360 (though was fine on the Media Center Machine)

2) When trying to watch a DVD-Rip through "Media Browser", I get an error "Could Not Start Transcoding Process"

a) I get the great looking menus, and also the movie metadata through my 360, but just cannot get it to play.

Admittedly I am a noob with the art of configuring Media Center to playback through extenders. Please let me know what "tweaks" I need to apply to my setup to get things working a little better. Dont hesitate to state the obvious; I am obviously missing something.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
here is a followup question. If I converted everything to DVR-MS, would this solve my problem of playback? Does it reduce sound quality or picture quality (especially of those high-def recordings and 1080i home movies?)

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't think the xbox 360 comes close to being a good extender for HD content. Also, if you ever want to watch a video on both at the same time forget it. Since the 360 doesn't support most common video formats we use for HD video, your HTPC has to transcode all the video. So you'll notice a lot of CPU usage on your HTPC when you watch something on your xbox.

·
Registered
417 Posts
+1 on transcoding as the problem. The 360 may be the best extender on the market, but no extender comes close to the versatility of a PC. Converting the rips to a different format, such as dvr-ms or something else natively supported by the 360, should solve the issue. Your other option would be to use a low power PC as an "extender" in the bedroom.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah everything seems to suggest that transcoding is the problem. I am not surprised to see HD content with trouble - simply because of the sheer bandwidth and processing power required to play it. However, even my lowly DVD rips are exhibiting the same problem, and on a Gigabit Hardwired Lan no less. That is why I figured it had to be a setup issue.

Rather than follow that long Transcode 360 hack, I think I'll dry a quick DVR-MS conversion to see if that would fix it. I'm not excited about converting all of my media, but if it proves painless and the format isn't being retired any time soon - I suppose its not a problem. Is Video-Redo the best app for this conversion?

(Hey if transplanting Transcode 360 into my system is really a superior option - please speak up)

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane /forum/post/17075846

VideoReDo is the best and doesn't transcode DVD's, it just puts them in a DVR-MS container.

or dvrstoolbox

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I gave the VideoReDo a test run - worked great. Media Browser was very weird when I dropped that DVRMS into my collection though. It began to treat it like an autoplay file, refusing to let me access the menu system any further. anyone else see anything like that?

Another question about the DVRMS... how does it take auto-metataggers like MyMovies (which I have running as a service on my WHS) and mediabrowsers ability to tell the summary and cover art?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.