AVS Forum banner

441 - 453 of 453 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by st5000 /forum/post/15084309

Just to see if the blaster works. These devices send out inferred radiation. This can easily be seen using a digital camera w/a CCD image sensor. AFAIK, this is still the most common (if not only) type of sensor used. You don't need (or want) to actually take a picture. All that is needed is to view the IR blaster in action using the electronic camera display.

To verify you are actually doing this, try an ordinary remote control first to see if you can see it transmitting when you press a button.

I've been using this technique to debug my ReplayTV unit and can say "it isn't sending out a thing!!".

Just relating my experience with this method of testing... Via my digital camera's LCD screen (on an old Kodak DC290), I can see the IR flashes coming from all my remotes, as grayish flashes on the LCD; however, even though my ReplayTV is successfully communicating with my DTA via IR blaster, I'm NOT able to see the IR flashes from the IR blaster via the camera's LCD. This is true for both my Replays w/ IR blasters, one talking to a Motorola digital set-top box and the other a Pace DC50Xu.

'gist: This camera test is not fool proof, and inability to see the IR flashes coming from the ReplayTV IR blaster via the camera does NOT necessarily indicate a bad blaster or that IR signals aren't being sent.

·
Registered
545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdonzis /forum/post/18992825

I would start out by pointing you at this post of someone modifying FlipFlop's bootable CD solution to get the newer Comcast IR codes on it...

To be clear, the linked post (authored by milesprower), doesn't modify FlipFlop's bootable CD. Rather, he cleverly uses FlipFlop's boot CD as-is, but then, immediately after the CD transfers its files to the Replay, he uses DVArchive to replace the CD-transferred files on the ReplayTV w/ just those needed for his specific IR mod -- and then resumes FlipFlop's process in order to initiate the NetConnect (which executes the modified 'shellcmds' file).

This is a great process for someone with an existing DVArchive instance and not wanting to load anything more than the necessary IR modifications for a given set-top box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfloth /forum/post/18994414

milesprower's post finally did the trick. ...

Also if it's not obvious he uses two pc's (One, to keep FlipFlop's ISO cd running. The other to run DVArchive for deleting/adding the appropriate files). If you don't do this you either have to rebuild the ISO or figure out another way.

If milesprower's solution is what you want to attempt but have only one PC at your disposal, as mentioned just above, booting the ISO within VMware Player is one way of making it happen.

·
Registered
545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DellHills /forum/post/17376681

I have been trying to find the Iso disk by flipflop to enable me to upload D10 IR codes to my replaytv. I have not been able to download as the link is dead. If someone could post that would be appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand /forum/post/17377749

[How-Do-I] Control My NEW OTA / CABLE Digital STB With My OLD ReplayTV? - FAQ #42

The LINK from 12/07/05 is still valid. (Where is the 'broken' LINK?)

What's broken is how Sourceforge is interpreting the links. The link to the ISO CD provided in FlipFlop's post , as well as on the replaytvupgrade page , results in the following "not found" error from Sourceforge...
The "/RTVPatch" file could not be found or is not available. Please select another file.
... and you're dropped at the root of the 'ReplayTV Upgrade Patch' files listing. One needs to know to look under RTVPatch / linux-cd-image to find the 2.5.5d CD image download link.

p.s. FYI... The direct link for the 2.5.5d CD image download doesn't get misinterpreted by Sourceforge (as of 13Sep2010).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well it has been quite some time since I last posted (just goes to say how good my ReplayTV has been acting up until now). The reason I came to this thread was to see if the 2 very cheap CECB devices I got (only cost me shipping with the coupons) could be made to work. The one I choose (before checking in with the fine folks on this board) was the Philco TB100HH9. This one seemed to do everything I wanted it to do (including the RF pass-through) and was given some good reviews elsewhere.

Since their arrival they have simply been sitting in their boxes with only one even seeing any use (we went camping and they did not have cable). Then Comcast here in GA started moving all but the very basic of channels (cannot complain too much as basic cable is all I'm paying them for mind you) to digital only which is causing me to rethink my setup. If AT&T U-Verse ever comes knocking, I'm there, but I know that with it you only get 4 concurrent TV choices and as I quite often record 2 to 3 shows at a time, that could be a problem for the 2 teenage kids in the house.

My plan is to use the 2 CECB units with my 2 ReplayTV boxes (the overflow is a Windows 7 computer with it's own ATSC tuner) since most of my recording is on the local network channels. That way if (or should I say when) U-Verse is available the 4 threads will all be free. Trouble is I've found no one who has reported my box as being usable with ReplayTV. So I read a little here and there, checked in with the folks from JP1, dusted off my old copy of WIRNS and get ready to roll up my sleeves. That is when Flipflops' bootable CD popped up in my Google search.

I actually started making my own RID file (did actually make it but it did not work) by using the one I found for a Magnavox TB100MW9 (simply cause the model number looked to close to mine not to have simply been a re-do from Funai with a different label on it). While my RID file did not work I (quite by accident) discovered that one Flipflop included in his CD DID work. The one designed for a Sylvania SRZ3000 (code 2010) named C2010fi.rid worked right out of the box. So if you are like me (cheap I guess) and find yourself trying to make your Philco converter work with ReplayTV, then I hope Google lands you on this posting.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmcse /forum/post/19370492

...The one I choose (before checking in with the fine folks on this board) was the Philco TB100HH9. This one seemed to do everything I wanted it to do (including the RF pass-through) and was given some good reviews elsewhere...

...While my RID file did not work I (quite by accident) discovered that one Flipflop included in his CD DID work. The one designed for a Sylvania SRZ3000 (code 2010) named C2010fi.rid worked right out of the box...

Added a Title to help those SEARCHing for this information in the future...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, Comcast has struck me with the mandatory Pace DC50X conversion, and I have been trying to follow this thread to add the required IR blaster code to my two lifetime and one paid 55xx and 50xx units.

I have kept these units going over the years with the bountiful help from members of this forum, but I admit trying to follow THIS thread is taxing my ability......

I found this site.... http://blog.katharsys.com/?p=733

with step by step instructions for adding the blaster code.

Is this a valid, workable solution????? Anything that needs to be added?

Thanks, in advance, for advice on this and also for all the past support!

dd

·
Registered
140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipFlop  /t/267352/adding-new-ir-blaster-codes-to-the-replay-unit-4k-5k/180#post_7017501

I rebuilt the bootable CD image with a function to automatically detect all ReplayTV units, and automatically copy the 13 RID files that I found floating around this thread. Now installing RID files is as easy as 1,2,3, without any need for WiRNS or DVArchive.

To install a RID file on the ReplayTV, use the following procedure.

1) Create a bootable CD using the image from
http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ckage_id=13712

2) Boot your computer using this CD image

- after booting it should automatically detect your ReplayTV(s)

and automatically copy the necessary files to the Photo partition

3) On your ReplayTV, switch the network configuration to static, and set both

DNS server settings on your ReplayTV to match the IP address reported on

your computer (be sure to note what your previous settings were)

4) On your ReplayTV, select Menu..Setup..Connect to ReplayTV Service Now to

force it to connect through your PC.

If all goes well, you should get a clock and a CPU meter pop up on the screen

during the net connect. These are done at the beginning and end of the script

just so you can see that the script began and completed.

Use 2-4-3-Zones to access the debug menus and toggle these back off.

Now you should be able to set your device up with one of the following codes

2000 all pansats

2001 all viewsats V1

2002 all viewsats V2

2003 all dreambox

2004 all coolsats

2005 Accurian

2006 3500S

2007 DirecTV D10

2008 LG LST-3xxx

2009 PanSat2500

2010 Sylvania SRZ3000

2011 USDTV Receiver

2012 Viewsat

Once things are working, restore the ReplayTV network configuration to your

previous settings. You can also safely remove the "install" photo directory

from your ReplayTV(s). This folder was automatically created during the

install process.

As I respond to a 6 year old post.

Heh

This document has been removed.
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=17245&package_id=13712

Would anyone have it and be able to post it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
SCRIPT RUNS BUT DOES NOT COMPLETE

I want to add my success story in order to help others who might experience the same problem I had. But first I would like to extend a hearty THANK YOU to FlipFlop, Henry, and many other smart, kind, helpful people who put in time to assist people with their ReplayTV issues.

First, the BACKGROUND (skip ahead to my SOLUTION if you like):

Last October, I dumped Comcast in favor of DirecTV. I used FlipFlop's linux-cd-image-2.5.5d.iso (inside VirtualBox on my Mac) to update my two ReplayTVs to work with the new satellite boxes. It worked flawlessly. I am so grateful for this community keeping ReplayTV up with new technology.

Onward to a few days ago, when one of the ReplayTVs got stuck at the "Please Wait" screen. I replaced the hard drive with the one from an unused ReplayTV I've been keeping as a spare.

(Question: Does Replay allow new machines to be activated? I didn't put the new ReplayTV in because I was worried about what happens with a new activation. Don't tell anyone, but I haven't been billed since the service shutdown debacle last summer, and I didn't want to disrupt that in case I'm getting away with free service.)

Everything went well until I tried to install the new IR codes. As the title says, the script ran, and I got the clock display, but the CPU meter never displayed. I spent three days trying lots of things from this forum thread (THANKS AGAIN!). I inserted other Linux commands to see if the ReplayTV could execute commands, and it did delete a photo from the "install" folder. I was getting closer to the solution.

SOLUTION:

I had to create the folders on the ReplayTV hard drive where the files are copied to. This is the script I used:
Code:
Code:
[CODE]AppShell ToggleClock
mkdir /name/system/user/mirror/sys-setup-gaea/data/irbdata
AppShell ToggleMemMeter
mkdir /name/system/user/mirror/sys-setup-gaea/data/irCodeset
AppShell TogglePositionMeter
cp -f /name/storage/Photo/install/ircodes /name/system/user/mirror/sys-setup-gaea/data/irbdata/ircodes
cp -f /name/storage/Photo/install/ircodesRaw /name/system/user/mirror/sys-setup-gaea/data/irbdata/ircodesRaw
cp -f /name/storage/Photo/install/S2000fi.rid /name/system/user/mirror/sys-setup-gaea/data/irCodeset/S2000fi.rid
cp -f /name/storage/Photo/install/S2001fi.rid /name/system/user/mirror/sys-setup-gaea/data/irCodeset/S2001fi.rid
cp -f /name/storage/Photo/install/S2002fi.rid /name/system/user/mirror/sys-setup-gaea/data/irCodeset/S2002fi.rid
cp -f /name/storage/Photo/install/S2003fi.rid /name/system/user/mirror/sys-setup-gaea/data/irCodeset/S2003fi.rid
cp -f /name/storage/Photo/install/S2004fi.rid /name/system/user/mirror/sys-setup-gaea/data/irCodeset/S2004fi.rid
cp -f /name/storage/Photo/install/C2005fi.rid /name/system/user/mirror/sys-setup-gaea/data/irCodeset/C2005fi.rid
cp -f /name/storage/Photo/install/C2006fi.rid /name/system/user/mirror/sys-setup-gaea/data/irCodeset/C2006fi.rid
cp -f /name/storage/Photo/install/C2007fi.rid /name/system/user/mirror/sys-setup-gaea/data/irCodeset/C2007fi.rid
cp -f /name/storage/Photo/install/C2008fi.rid /name/system/user/mirror/sys-setup-gaea/data/irCodeset/C2008fi.rid
cp -f /name/storage/Photo/install/S2009fi.rid /name/system/user/mirror/sys-setup-gaea/data/irCodeset/S2009fi.rid
cp -f /name/storage/Photo/install/C2010fi.rid /name/system/user/mirror/sys-setup-gaea/data/irCodeset/C2010fi.rid
cp -f /name/storage/Photo/install/C2011fi.rid /name/system/user/mirror/sys-setup-gaea/data/irCodeset/C2011fi.rid
cp -f /name/storage/Photo/install/C2012fi.rid /name/system/user/mirror/sys-setup-gaea/data/irCodeset/C2012fi.rid
AppShell ToggleCpuMeter
[/CODE]

After struggling with this for days on end, you have no idea how happy I was to finally see that elusive CPU meter. I threw my arms up and did a happy dance right then and there.

I still have the old busted hard drive to deal with, as well as setting up the channels and recordings on the fixed ReplayTV, but that'll be a breeze compared to the last few days.

I can't thank you guys enough!

·
Registered
2,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoxard  /t/267352/adding-new-ir-blaster-codes-to-the-replay-unit-4k-5k/420#post_23449851

(Question: Does Replay allow new machines to be activated? I didn't put the new ReplayTV in because I was worried about what happens with a new activation. Don't tell anyone, but I haven't been billed since the service shutdown debacle last summer, and I didn't want to disrupt that in case I'm getting away with free service.)

Yeah, this is no secret. They appear to let any machine be activated, and they don't appear to be billing for the service. Since they pretty much cancelled all of their subscription accounts, it would be pretty difficult for them to start up billing again. As an example, try to get to your account information, and that will be the big clue that they really aren't supporting that any longer...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoxard 

I had to create the folders on the ReplayTV hard drive where the files are copied to.

If I had to guess, I would guess that the ReplayTV wasn't fully updated after replacing the hard drive. I don't know what state that other ReplayTV was in that you took the hard drive out of, but it takes a couple of net connects to get a new hard drive fully upgraded. So, if you had replaced the drive in the ReplayTV and then gone through the Quick Setup, you probably only need to do one more manual net connect to get the Zone folders (where the IR Blaster codes are kept) fully populated. So, I think that was the difference, that previously you had fully upgraded drives in your operating ReplayTVs, and because you put in the new hard drive, it wasn't quite yet fully upgraded. I think if you had gotten the ReplayTV all the way up to fully running, then the boot CD probably would have worked properly...

Henry

·
Registered
75 Posts
IR codes for the new directv D12 Box , Im just wondering of course I don't have the new box as we speak .So I don't know if it will change channels for recording shows .Im under the impression that the only box that will work is the D10 box from directv ,it has the low speed data port on it and is the last one too . Directv discontented most of the good rca boxes that have a serial port on them . I would buy a older box from ebay If I can still use them . Some of the older rca boxes where great and had gold plated rca port too . That's a sign of high end audio and video too . My first directv system was a rca box and dish I bought from bestbuy back then . Then they went to professional install only . I like the self install my self that way you can make sure its done right . You cant expect very good jod from something that's free .But Back to the IR Blaster codes . If anyone got the direct tv box working without the code please respond to me .

·
Registered
173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckland23  /t/267352/adding-new-ir-blaster-codes-to-the-replay-unit-4k-5k/450#post_23650593

IR codes for the new directv D12 Box , Im just wondering of course I don't have the new box as we speak .So I don't know if it will change channels for recording shows .Im under the impression that the only box that will work is the D10 box from directv ,it has the low speed data port on it and is the last one too . .
as i said in another one of ur numerous threads all the codes are the same for all new dtv boxes end of story!!! also d10s have no low speed port only a 2.0 usb port

441 - 453 of 453 Posts