AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

A few similar threads on this, but what I found didn't seem to fit my exact setup . Looking for general advice, suggestions, or someone to completely rule-out what I think are my options.

So, I bought a new house and I'm cabling it out for audio - about 20 speakers total (multi-zoned), but that's another story.

All speakers that I've bought are passive in-wall. In particular, my living room will be 7.1 along with in-wall PASSIVE subs (there are 2 subs actually that I plan to split and put on opposite sides of the room).

Therein, lies the problem. I haven't found a 7.1 receiver that has a powered subwoofer out (for some reason, I was thinking that my previous 5.1 "Home Theater in a box" solution had a powered-output, which led me astray).

Although I do realize that a true powered sub will give better bass response, I really don't want it setting on the floor. I'd prefer the look of the in-wall sub, and I've never seen a powered in-wall sub, which would be kinda hard to implement running power to anyway.

Here are my options as I see them:

1) Scrap the Passive In-Wall Sub idea. Sell my subs on ebay. Buy the most attractive powered sub possible. Deal with the box sitting on the floor.

2) Buy a cheap stereo receiver (I've seen these for about 100 bucks at circuit city and could probably do much better on ebay). Run the line level sub out to the stereo receiver's inputs (I'd have to use a Y splitter because the inputs are L/R. Connect the subs to the stereo receiver. Config the stereo receiver's tuning options to optimize bass. Unfortunately, I'm running to an un-airconditioned media closet so adding extra receivers adds extra heat so I fear this option slightly.

3) Keep looking for a 7.1 receiver with a powered sub out.

4). Connect the passive subs to the front channels on the 7.1 receivers along with the actual front speakers. Already saw posts advising against this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Mark,

I don't think *any* receivers have powered LFE out. You just need to get either one stereo power amp with separate gain controls for each channel (not a reciever), or two mono amps, and connect those to the LFE out on your receiver with a Y cable. A "cheap stereo receiver" won't have anything near the power required to drive a decent sub.

I've never used component amps myself, so I'm not the one to ask for recommendations, but I'm sure others will chime in.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the replies so far. I'm in the same boat as the OP ... I just bought a passive in-wall sub on eBay for $10(+$20 shipping) with the following specs:

Acoustic Audio IWS10

100 Watts RMS to 200 Watts

Frequency Response: 28Hz - 200Hz + 3 dB

Rubber Surround

Efficiency / Sensitivity: 97dB @ 1 watt 1 meter

10 Inch Subwoofer

High Rigidity Treated Paper Cone with Extended Throw Drive Assembly

Impedance: 8 Ohm

Mounting Depth 3.75 Inches

White Paintable Grill

I stupidly assumed my 5.1 Sony receiver could drive this ... didn't realize it was lineout only. Got all excited this afternoon trying to hook it up, impressed with the "great deal" I got. Figured out I need an amp and have been browsing here since. Looks like the Dayton 150W amp would work for me.

The intention was to install the sub in the wall behind my couch (which has a light fabric back and a lot of airspace for sound to move into) directly behind the spot I usually sit. I'm looking for some extra "kick" for watching movies, no real music listening from this system. Does it sound like this might fit the bill? I've got KEF Ci series in-wall speakers in my current 5.1 (minus the 0.1) setup, which I love.

It seemed like installing the sub directly behind the couch flush with the wall was a cool idea, but the more I read on these forums, the more I realize I don't know. However, I'm a mechanical engineer working as support in an electrical engineering company and know that sometimes the hairs get split multiple times even when the layperson would never notice.

I'm not out much money unless I buy the amp. Does parts express have a good return policy?

So, like the OP, I'm trying to decide whether or not to scrap my current idea and get a floor sub, or to continue on with the in-wall (everything else is in-ceiling now).

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Never heard of that company so it is difficult to judge the quality. Also, you should be the one to determine the best location in your room using the tips that we give over and over here. But if it turns out to be a pile of crap, then all is not lost. ED and Lorentz Audio both have slim drivers that you can use as a replacement. The Lorentz driver is used in some very high-end in-wall subs - link .

-Robert

1 - 5 of 5 Posts