AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i own a polk audio rm6880 speaker package which is a 5.1 channel speaker package. Now i feel that i want to move my speakers all back and add 2 front floor standing speakers. Here is my problem, i don't know what speakers would work with my current speaker set up.. I don't think i can just go listen to speakers and pick out what will sound the same with my set up... How do you guys all add new speakers how do you guys know whats gonna sound the same as the speakers you have at home? Thanks

·
Registered
355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHB900 /forum/post/15436771

Hey guys, i own a polk audio rm6880 speaker package which is a 5.1 channel speaker package. Now i feel that i want to move my speakers all back and add 2 front floor standing speakers. Here is my problem, i don't know what speakers would work with my current speaker set up.. I don't think i can just go listen to speakers and pick out what will sound the same with my set up... How do you guys all add new speakers how do you guys know whats gonna sound the same as the speakers you have at home? Thanks

With your Polk Audio RM6880 system you might consider adding the following:

a pair of Polk Audio RM201 black speakers
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Sat...351&sr=1-112io

or a pair of Polk Audio VM20 black speakers
http://www.jr.com/polk-audio/pe/POK_VM20SATBL/

·
Registered
505 Posts
Well, you're going about this a little backwards. Most of us find the speakers we like for the main front 3 first and then add the surrounds later. Maybe this will help. When watching a movie, the majority of sound, like 80%, is focused through the front 3. And of that 80%, ~ 70-80% of that is directed to the center speaker. So, as you can see, the front 3 are the most important, with the center carrying the bulk of the load.

Understanding that, it is very important that the front 3 match because when the sound moves across the front sound stage, if they don't match, the sound won't either. For instance, as another poster in another thread put it, imagine a Shelby Cobra sportscar is driving from left to right across the screen. If your speakers don't match, the Shelby might sound like a powerful muscle car on the left, a Honda Civic in the center, and then like a muscle car on the right. This can be very annoying and confusing.

If you try to just add a pair of tower speakers to your current system, your center speaker will not match at all. If you want to add larger main speakers, you will need to add a new center as well.

It is important to match the front 3, but since only 30% of the sound is directed to the surrounds, it is not as important for them to match the front. Unless you watch concert DVD, or listen to multichanel (SACD/DVD audio) CDs. If you enjoy either of these, then you would need to have better surrounds because more audio information is shared with the surrounds.

As for just shifting your present speakers to the rear, you need to consider if moving from 5.1 to 7.1 is in your best interest. Just because you have a capable receiver and the proper amount of speakers, doesn't mean you will get better sound. In order for 7.1 to work the way it was intended, you need room behind your seating position. If your seating position is against the wall, you are much better off sticking with 5.1. You need at least 3 ft of space behind you and 6 ft or more is preferred.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Good points.

I believe that the RM201 fronts should be a close match with the existing center from the RM6880 as they are from the same Polk series and Polk timbre matches their series.

The VM series is the replacement for the RM series and I would expect it to match ok with his existing center too.

If it turns out it doesn't match as well as he likes, then a VM center can be added.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.