AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i am new to avs forum, and i need some advise on which speakers to get. as of now i have a denon avr-591 receiver, energy cc-10 center, energy cb-10s for my fronts, and energy s-10.3 sub-woofer for my setup. it is set up in a 11x15 room. the reason i went with a 3.1 was so i could spend a little more on a quality basic setup and expand later.

now that i am ready to expand, im not sure whether to move my cb-10s to the surrounds and get floor standing front speakers (i was thinking energy cf-30s), or if i should keep my cb-10s as fronts and add some rear speakers (like cr-10s).

another question i have is, how will my receiver (denon avr-591) handle the cf-30s? i see pictures of the binding posts on the back of the cf-30s and there are 4 of them. what would i connect them all to?

sorry if i am ignorant, i am new to all this.

thanks for any input you can give me.

·
Registered
29,305 Posts
If you want to make a big jump, wait for the CF-70s to come on sale again for $200 each and then move your CB-10s to surround duty. that would be a pretty awesome setup for a $400 addition.

Your Denon 591 can handle them. I have that same receiver and I've used towers and bookshelf speakers with it. The CF-70s actually have a much higher sensitivity (96db) than your CB-10s (90db) and will be easier to drive to louder levels with your receiver.

As far as speakers with dual binding post, just leave the metal straps in place and use one set or terminals. I generally use the bottom set of terminals out of habit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the speedy reply.

any idea when and where the the cf-70s might go on sale? the more that i look at adding floor standing speakers, i think i wanna go that route.

also, will my center channel be able to keep up to the cf-70s easily? i love to crank up my movies so it shakes the house!!

·
Registered
29,305 Posts
The CC-10 is the matching center for the CF-70.

Vanns.com puts the CF-70 on sale for $200. I can't tell you when the next sale will happen though. Newegg.com just had these for $200ea last month. Sign up for emails from both Vanns and Newegg and you'll be set.

I have the same s10.3 subwoofer. It's really good with movies and music.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, lovin the s-10.3 sub
i will probably go with the cf-70s based on reviews and your helpful insight
... you sound like you really know what you are talking about so i will definitely take your word for it. i cannot wait to get my hands on these cf-70 speakers... thanks for your time. it is much appriciated.

also just a random question.. did your blue led go bad on the front of the s-10.3 sub? mine went bad within the first week, and i was kinda bummed out. i was reading on other forums that it burns out because of over-voltage. is there any way to fix that? it does not affect the subwoofer in any way, but it was such a nice blue light. i am not willing to send it in to get it fixed, just wondering if there is any way to fix it myself?

·
Registered
29,305 Posts
I wasn't bummed out about the glowing blue light because it annoyed me. I was about to put electrical tape over it but the LED went out shortly after that. I dont think it lasted past the first week.

Sub is still going strong years later. The light doesn't affect the performance of the sub.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.