Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was wanting to add surround ex to my Onkyo Integra 5.1 system, which I had heard was possible if you had an extra Dolby Pro Logic reciever lying around, and both receivers have preamp in/outs.

Has anyone tried this with any luck? And what are the proper connections to make from avr to avr? I did a search in this forum, but found nothing:(

Thanks in advance, Colin

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I tried this set-up and it worked pretty well. Connect the surround preamp outputs of the 5.1 to the main preamp inputs on the PL. Then run the PL in 3 Stereo mode with the side surrounds hooked to the main speaker terminals, and the back surround hooked to the center speajer terminals. The PL will create a simulated back surround channel from the sourround information, just as it would create a center channel from stereo information. A bit of volume adjustment, and away you go!

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks 2 all for the replies,

robby,

I will try what you suggested this weekend and post a reply. I have been out of town, and haven't had a chance to set everything up. I hope to have it all done to demo "Black Hawk Down" Its suppose to have some very aggresive surround sound info!!

Colin

·
Registered
277 Posts
How many ex titles are out? I got a brocure from DTS listing all the DTS DVDs, and seemed like there was only about a half dozen es titles.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jason,

I went to dolby.com to check out any info for the listing of movies with surround ex. Click on "ask a question", and it will lead you to a list of movies with ex. If I counted correctly, there seems to be about 30 as of May 2002, on dvd.

There is also an interesting article I just read in Perfect Vision mag. March/April issue. It is on page 12 and they also explain how to add surround ex decoding to a 5.1 channel system.

I know the movie " Black Hawk Down" is not an ex movie, but I thought with the extra center surround speaker, it should add some more excitement to the rear channels. Does the rear center speaker become silent when not playing a dvd recorded in ex, or does it become mono?? I hope to find out!!

Colin

·
Registered
277 Posts
Depends on what processor you are using. I used a rear channel with my Casablanca ll for a while and it uses a matrix system that sends a signal to the rear center channel on all DD and DTS movies.

I found it to pretty much be a waste of cable, amp, money. However, I am reinstateing it directly overhead of my center seating like Widescreen Reveiw does in their theater. May find it works better there.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi again,

Well, I just finished setting everything up. I installed not one, but two rear center channel speakers in my acoustical ceiling grid. My Yamaha receive r-v503, that I am useing to push the center rears has that option.

Thats the good news, the bad news is that no matter how I hook up my pre amps surround out from my Integra, to the Yammy's main pre amp in, I receive no sound to my two rear center channels. It doesn't matter whether it is an ex recording or just a 5.1 dvd. Yes, all the speaker wires were hooked up correctly.

I do however receive sound from my wall mounted left/right rears. I think the problem lies within the Yammy's decoding system. It surely couldn't be me. :rolleyes:

So all was not lost, I used the Yammy to give me two additional left/right rears. Surround ex or not, I was really pleased with the results of the ceiling mounted rears in addition to the wall mounted rears.

If any of you have that option, go for it. As for now, I'm just going to enjoy what I have!!

Colin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.