AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking hard about buying the SageTV extender rather than purchase/build another HTPC for my second TV. However, I think I might want some of the extra capabilities of a HTPC. For example, there are a few media sources that I don't think the SageTV media extender can help me with.

I have some iTunes content that I would like to play from time to time, there are a few shows only available for download through Amazon that my wife is into (HGTV & TLC content since I won't have anything but OTA TV), and I have a Netflix account with the ability to stream several hours of movies every month.

I know the SageTV extender is supposed to have access to some online content, but what would that include?

Also, I have a kind of stupid question. If my main HTPC has two or three OTA tuners on it, can my second HTPC act as a media extender? Or would I need something like an HDHomerun to shares TV tuners among two networked HTPCs?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Sounds like you would want to put the SageServer software on the HTPC that has multiple tuners. Then, you would use the Sage Client software on the second HTPC to display those TV channels captured on the first HTPC.

Actually, the best way is to dedicate a PC as being a SageServer with tuners and hard drives. Network that to the two HTPCs w/ the client software.

If you have another TV, the Sage HD Extender would connect to the SageServer to broadcast pics, music, movies, TV live and TV recorded and downloaded content.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I understood that Sage would handle what I was looking to do with a second HTPC, but I would like to know if Vista MC will allow a second HTPC to act as a media extender (being able to access the tuners on the primary HTPC).

I would prefer to use a Sage HD extender rather than deal with the price, heat, noise, and added complexity for the wife that the HTPC brings with it. But I have other media that I want access to (itunes, Netflix streaming movies, etc) that the Sage extender can't provide.

Can someone please tell me if I can use a networked HTPC in my second room that will be able to access the TV tuners on my primary computer using Vista media center? I already know SageTV will do this. And does the Sage HD extender offer access to any online content or is it limited to media and tuners on your primary PC/server?

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
if the Sage extender did HD audio streams over HDMI it would be the PERFECT box !!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I asked about the sharing of tuners a few months ago and the answer then was no. You have to record the file and then play the file on the second PC. No direct access was my understanding but could be wrong/changed since then. What you need for that is a extender for MC like the 360 or one of the new boxes if it plays all your media your set. What you are asking for for the PC is the softsled idea if I am not mistaking but again been a while since I looked into it all as I just used it as an excuse to get a 360.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukt /forum/post/12907369

I asked about the sharing of tuners a few months ago and the answer then was no. You have to record the file and then play the file on the second PC. No direct access was my understanding but could be wrong/changed since then. What you need for that is a extender for MC like the 360 or one of the new boxes if it plays all your media your set. What you are asking for for the PC is the softsled idea if I am not mistaking but again been a while since I looked into it all as I just used it as an excuse to get a 360.

Thanks for the help. I may have to go the Sage route even if I buy/build a HTPC instead of the SageTV extender.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts