AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately, my Onkyo TX-NR1007 died on me over the weekend. It appears that the amplifier portion no longer wishes to function. I can get sound out of it if I hook it up to an external amp, however that's not really going to cut it for the long-term (since I only have a 2 channel amp as a backup).

Because of a number of different issues (not the least of which is the unit no longer functions), I will not be going back to an Onkyo receiver. So Onkyo need not apply and all Onkyo suggestions will be discarded (sorry).

Previously, I had a Denon receiver for over 10 years that was "okay", but I could never really get a decent "surround" effect from the rear speakers. It also never seemed to give a great deal of volume from the mains (this was most likely due to setup and age of the receiver - so I won't hold the brand accountable). I was moderately happy with the Onkyo, while it was working.

My setup is as follows:

a mismatched set of Paradigm speakers (2 Phantom v3 mains, 2 OM-104 surrounds, and a CC-07 center channel) with a Elemental Designs A2-300 powered sub in my main viewing area

a pair of outdoor JBL speakers for the patio

an in-ceiling stereo speaker for the bathroom (music purposes mostly)

I currently have an AudioSource AMP-210 hooked up to power the patio speakers and the bathroom speaker. This is coming from the second zone on the TX-NR1007.

My usage is predominantly movies (65% - DVDs and streamed MKVs from my PS3), TV (15% - cable), streaming a 1.FM Shoutcast (19% - currently streamed via the PS3), or music streamed from my PC (1%).

Ideally, I would love to have an "instant on" for the bathroom to stream the 1.FM station (2 channels), as well as be able to use VLC to stream the MKV files from my PC straight to the receiver (bypassing Cinavia - I doubt this is possible). The Ipad app to control the receiver I've seen is a really neat idea and might sway me away from some models (but it's not a deal-breaker).

My budget is ~$1000 (it goes without saying that cheaper is better, to improve the Wife Acceptance Factor) but I will go over that by a little bit if the receiver / features are outstanding.

That being said, I believe that I've decided on the Denon AVR-3312CI. The biggest thing for me is the flexibility of the zone 2 / 3 settings which, as I understand it, should be able to send digital signals (internet radio specifically) out to my patio and bathroom. Other advantages are the enhanced Audyssey MultiEQ XT, iPad app, and the inclusion of vTuner (aka radiodenon.com).

So my question is this. Are there any competing models out there that I'm missing (excluding Onkyo)? I've looked at the Yamaha, Marantz, and Pioneer Elite models. Harman Kardon's site won't show me any information on their models so I skipped them.

Thanks for any input you have. If I've read something incorrectly in the **OFFICIAL** Denon AVR-XX12 thread please let me know that I could be making a mistake (especially in the area of the zone 2 / 3).

jmarken

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks phantom52, I had initially skipped that model due to it's MSRP, but Amazon has a pretty good deal which puts it within reach. Unfortunately, it's not fulfilled by Amazon at that price so Prime 1-Day shipping still puts the Denon 3312 as the frontrunner.

Price and shipping aside, is the Yamaha A2000 significantly better than the Denon 3312? Build quality, performance or features that would make it the better choice? I've been reading the dedicated thread and it seems pretty much in line with the Denon specs.

Or were you just providing me with a second equally good option (which I definitely appreciate)?

jmarken

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I would also look at the 3311. You might be able to find a closeout on one now. The only big difference between the 3311 and 3312 is the 3312 can overlay the GUI over 3D sources and Airplay on the 3311 was a 50$ update. I got my 3311 from Amazon warehouse deals about a month ago and I love it. For some reason it has gone up 200 now so I would wait to see if it goes on sale again. Some people have found them pretty cheap at best buy magnolias as well.

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
I'm a Yamaha fan over any of the others. I prefer their EQ program over Audyssey. I've used it many times and it always works for me. Do not like Audyssey. It does have a very large following though. Maybe it's just me and that EQ method. I feel as for as build quality the A2000 is better. Power specs should be very close. The A2000 seems to also have better connectivity. Great review for the A2000 below. If it were me it would be the A2000 over the 3312. JMHO. Yamaha has long been the #1 AVR's for reliability and longevity.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/y...00-av-receiver

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Both units stack up nicely so it would be more of a personal preference thing. I like audyssey so that's why I went with the Denon. You could order the A2000 and see how it compares to your 1007. The Denon 3312 and Onkyo 1007 both use MultEQ XT so there will not be much of a difference if any in sound quality. I agree with phantom about build quality. The 3312 looks and feels cheap where the a2000 looks and feels solid. Although I have had good luck with Denons, but I do not like the way their receivers have started looking cheaper every year. The 3311 look/feels more solid than the 3312 in my opinion.

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
Unlike mj, even though both your current 1007 and the Denon 3312 do use the same Audyssey, I feel you will hear a difference. The Denon 3312 will work whereas with the Onkyo its going to be hit or miss as you know. Joking aside if I were you I would read about each of these(Denon 3311/3312 & Yamaha A2000/3000) on their dedicated threads. Please also realize that with the X10 & X0010 models coming out that you may even be able to reach the A3000 for a very good price. I just did. Should be getting my A3000 next week some time. Ordered it and a docking station just a few minutes ago. Going back to my old standby Yamaha, never to change again. Getting too old to deal with changing these dang things out on a regular basis. Good luck and good reading. Hope this helps out in some way.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I was definitely going Yamaha (again) until I saw the clearance prices on the Pioneer Elite SC-35 and just couldn't pass it up. I know you said you'd looked at those, but I'm just making sure you saw the sc-35 price at Costco (for one - I got mine from BB.)

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
Keep the Onkyo till it dies .

here me out on this

get an Emotiva XPA-5 Amp use that for the intern .with the 2 channel amp you now have you will have 7 channels .

when the Onkyo does finally die . You will be in a good position to get a pre/pro & then you will be a happy camper all the way around .

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
See? This is why I ask the collective experts.

mjpearce023 and phantom52 - thank you for the thoughts on build quality. That is important and may end up being a deciding factor.

bakerzdosen - in my original search for Pioneer models I did not see that (as it wasn't listed prominently on their website under the Elite section). I'm looking at that one as well.

Fastslappy - that is a completely different (but valid) direction to go in. But with a couple of other things about the NR1007 that I don't like so much (menus, internet radio performance, zone controls, etc.), I think I'm going to look into sticking with a receiver for now and consider moving to a separate amp in the future. I only have so much room in my current TV stand.

Thanks again to you all,

jmarken

·
Registered
2,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/20885873

Unlike mj, even though both your current 1007 and the Denon 3312 do use the same Audyssey, I feel you will hear a difference. The Denon 3312 will work whereas with the Onkyo its going to be hit or miss as you know. Joking aside if I were you I would read about each of these(Denon 3311/3312 & Yamaha A2000/3000) on their dedicated threads. Please also realize that with the X10 & X0010 models coming out that you may even be able to reach the A3000 for a very good price. I just did. Should be getting my A3000 next week some time. Ordered it and a docking station just a few minutes ago. Going back to my old standby Yamaha, never to change again. Getting too old to deal with changing these dang things out on a regular basis. Good luck and good reading. Hope this helps out in some way.

A3000? I thought you went HK not too long ago? I'd like to hear what you think about it when you get it all setup. I like the idea of being able to customize the eq curve. I'd also like to hear how the sub EQ works with YPAO on the A2000/3000. That's the big drawback of the Pioneer's for me is that they don't touch the sub. I also was wondering if you can save multiple curves with YPAO. For example, one you use for movie and a different one you use for music.

I'm tired of arguing with all the onkyo slaves so I won't touch the joke. I'm not feeling any arguments this week.

·
Registered
7,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 /forum/post/20886512

A3000? I thought you went HK not too long ago? I'd like to hear what you think about it when you get it all setup. I like the idea of being able to customize the eq curve. I'd also like to hear how the sub EQ works with YPAO on the A2000/3000. That's the big drawback of the Pioneer's for me is that they don't touch the sub. I also was wondering if you can save multiple curves with YPAO. For example, one you use for movie and a different one you use for music.

I'm tired of arguing with all the onkyo slaves so I won't touch the joke. I'm not feeling any arguments this week.

I did go with the H/K 7550HD. But two of them later and they are going back. Too many little bugs that won't work themselves out. Beautiful sounding and really like the build quality. Just little things I don't care for and won't put up with. So it goes back and I get the A3000 ordered. I've always had extremely good luck with the Yammies and should have gone that way to begin with. With both the 2000/3000 they do eq the subs. As far as I know yes you can set them up with different curves by using the "scene" settings. They also have three different forms of Eq'ing. Natural,Flat, and I forget the other one. I used a Yamaha 2600 for years and it is an awesome AVR. Build quality is also very high on Yamaha's list. I usually recommend them first but their X65 series kind of let me down. They seem to have realize that that series was also a step backwards at a bad time. We''ll see with the A3000. Can hardly wait for it to get here. Also got an excellent deal for it so it was a win,win for me.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Thanks for the info. Yeah the prices on the Aventage line are really good right now. I am watching the A2000 to see how cheap it's going to get. I would love to try out YPAO just to see how it sounds with my system. I love my 3311 but I just have the upgrade bug right now and I can't see replacing my studios so I might try a different receiver. Coming from the 3310, the 3111 was just a lateral move and I wouldn't really consider it an upgrade that much. That sucks the HK didn't work out for you. Hopefully the return shipping was paid for that beast.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
Take a look at Anthem's MRX line. The MRX 300 would suit your price. Excellent build quality, amplification and Anthem Room Correction(ARC)

John

·
Registered
7,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 /forum/post/20886976

Thanks for the info. Yeah the prices on the Aventage line are really good right now. I am watching the A2000 to see how cheap it's going to get. I would love to try out YPAO just to see how it sounds with my system. I love my 3311 but I just have the upgrade bug right now and I can't see replacing my studios so I might try a different receiver. Coming from the 3310, the 3111 was just a lateral move and I wouldn't really consider it an upgrade that much. That sucks the HK didn't work out for you. Hopefully the return shipping was paid for that beast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray /forum/post/20887121

Take a look at Anthem's MRX line. The MRX 300 would suit your price. Excellent build quality, amplification and Anthem Room Correction(ARC)

John

Those Anthems are nice and ARC is supposed to be among the best EQ programs around. Seems from different articles second only to the Trinnov program. To mj: yes from whom I purchased from, free shipping back and free shipping to me for the A3000. No restocking fee, nothing, nada, and excellent help. Hard to beat their service and help. As for the price it was less than a A2000 MSRP by several hundred dollars. So therefore a deal thats hard to beat IMO. If it's anything like my past Yamaha's I should be very happy. Excellent for music and movies to me. The H/K 7550HD was/is like that. Exceptional for both. The OP has some decisions and research to do. There are some very good AVR's out right now for good prices. Anthem's,Denon's, Yamaha's, and NAD's, and Marantz of different price ranges. All need a good looking over.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

I still think the Pioneer SC-35 from Costco is tough to beat. There do not seem to be any major issues with them and it offers a true 100 Watts into 5/7 Channels. Considering the savings, it really is tough to beat. Sorry about your 1007.

AD

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/20887224

The OP has some decisions and research to do. There are some very good AVR's out right now for good prices.

I wanted to again thank all of you for your inputs. After checking them out I came to the decision to buy the Yamaha RX-A2000. It came down to the vTuner feature, and the flexibility of the zone configurations. Paired with the Yamaha recommendations, I thought to myself that I had not tried the Yamaha brand so I went with that one.

Hopefully it'll make me a lot happier than the Onkyo TX-NR1007 that it's replacing (which I now need to find a home/use for).

Thanks again for all the help. See you again when I'm looking for a new TV in 6-9 months.

Jmarken

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.