Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dual Bay External Enclclosure + Internal HDD

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, this is more of a general pc storage question and not particularly a HT one. So I'd like to apologize in advance if I'm in the wrong forum section, or if my question just sounds too dumb.

Anyways, I need to add some storage for my wife's work stuff. She's a web designer so it's mainly going to be for like stock images, templates, photoshop brushes, etc.. I'm not going to be using this to store media so I don't need like the top notch speedy devices for this one. I'm also planning on building a NAS/webserver at some point this year, so I would rather not spend too much for this one right now.

I'm looking for about 2-3 TB that can connect via USB. Budget around $100-$200

My router has USB storage support, it can turn a USB hard drive into a NAS. So the USB connection will allow her to access her files on either the pc or the laptop. This is why I'm leaning a lot towards USB. The router only does USB 2.0 though, so a USB 3.0 drive would be nice but not necessary at this point.

Here are my options so far, but I'm also open to other ones if you guys have some suggestions:

1. Portable USB Hard Drive, 2TB, $120 . Bonus points for being small, light, and portable, so if we have to go away or something we can lug this around. The chances of us going away and needing this stuff is very slim though. It might need an external powered USB hub if router can't supply enough juice:

2. Non-portable USB Hard Drive, 3TB, $145 . More capacity than the portable ones plus doesn't need a powered hub. It's semi portable I guess, I wouldn't wanna lug this around though

3. Single Bay External Enclosure + Internal HDD , 3TB, $20 for the enclosure + $110 for the HDD. Can replace/swap HDDs. If either one breaks, I can replace them without replacing the whole system. Non-portable though so this will stay on the desk

4. Dual Bay External Enclusure + Internal HDD , 3TB, $65 for they bay + $110 for the HDD. Same as #3 but I can increase to 6TB if needed

Thoughts? Performance wise, I know all the above options should work. I just can't make up my mind between their pros/cons

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricN  /t/1521873/additional-storage-recommendations#post_24463672

What's your offsite backup? (i.e. CrashPlan/BackBlaze/Glacier/etc) Your best option will be one that meshes well with your existing backup system.

Right now I'm only using drop box and google drive for important documents (personal files and my wife's work files). I currently have a 32GB flash drive hooked up to my router and I tested and can confirm that both drop box and google drive works off of it. So at this point any of the 4 choices I listed above should work with the offsite backup plan we use for her work files

doesn't matter for my OP but for my other files (media and things), I have a time machine and a cloning app to backup.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts