Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Adelphia Communications To Launch HDNet And HDNet Movies

GREENWOOD VILLAGE, CO and DALLAS - JAN. 20, 2004 - Adelphia Communications Corporation and HDNet today announced a carriage agreement to deliver HDNet and HDNet Movies to subscribers of Adelphia's HDTV service. Adelphia is in the process of deploying HDTV in multiple markets and will be rolling out the two 24/7 high-definition networks in its HDTV markets in the near future. HD service is currently available to more than half of Adelphia's customers.

"High definition television is taking hold with consumers and HDNet on Adelphia will underscore our commitment to rebuilding the company, upgrading our network and offering customers cutting edge digital video entertainment and services," said Judy Meyka, Adelphia's senior vice president of programming.

"HDNet delivers more original programming and more HD movie premieres than any other network, and we are excited that our networks will be available now to Adelphia's customers," said Mark Cuban, co-founder and president of HDNet.

Adelphia Communications is one of the nation's leading cable companies with more than 5.3 million residential customers nationwide.

HDNet and HDNet Movies offer 24 hours of live, original and licensed programming, all produced and delivered in the highest quality 1080i HDTV format. Original HDNet series include "HDNet World Report," "Hollywood HD," "Across America," "HDNet Concert Series," "True Music," the "NHL on HDNet," the "MLS on HDNet," and "Higher Definition."

To view HDNet and HDNet Movies, Adelphia customers need an HDTV set and an Adelphia digital HD set top box. Pricing and packaging remain to be determined.

About HDNet

HDNet, ( www.hd.net ), the leader in high definition broadcasting, produces and televises more hours of original HDTV sports, entertainment and news programming each week than any other network. Original HDNet series include the groundbreaking HDNet World Report, Across America, True Music, HDNet Concert Series, Bikini Destinations, Get Out, and Higher Definition - Celebrity Interviews. Licensed programming includes series from Paramount, Warner Brothers and Sony. HDNet Movies broadcasts 24/7 full-length feature films from Warner Bros, New Line, Paramount, MGM, Buena Vista, Lions Gate, Artisan and Sony Pictures Television. HDNet Movies also features movies produced and finished in true 1080i high-definition. Live HDNet sports productions include National Hockey League games, Major League Soccer games, The HDNet Horse Racing Challenge, CART auto racing, Boxing Explosion, and college football and basketball games. Co-founded by Mark Cuban, owner of the Dallas Mavericks, and General Manager Philip Garvin, the HDNet networks are available on Charter Communications, Insight Communications, DIRECTV, DISH Network, Time Warner Cable and several NCTC cable affiliate companies.

About Adelphia

Adelphia Communications Corporation is the fifth-largest cable television company in the country. It serves 3,500 communities in 31 states and Puerto Rico, and offers analog and digital cable services, high-speed Internet access (Adelphia Power Link), and other advanced services.

This document includes forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. All statements regarding Adelphia Communications Corporation's and its subsidiaries' and affiliates' (collectively, the "Company") expected future financial position, results of operations, cash flows, restructuring and financing plans, expected emergence from bankruptcy, business strategy, budgets, projected costs, capital expenditures, network upgrades, products and services, competitive positions, growth opportunities, new product and service introductions, plans and objectives of management for future operations, as well as statements that include words such as "anticipate," "if," "believe," "plan," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "could," "should," "will," and other similar expressions are forward-looking statements. Such forward-looking statements are inherently uncertain, and readers must recognize that actual results may differ materially from the Company's expectations. The Company does not undertake a duty to update such forward-looking statements. Factors that may cause actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements include the Company's pending bankruptcy proceeding, results of litigation against the Company and government investigations of the Company, the effects of government regulation including the actions of local cable franchising authorities, the availability of financing, actions of the Company's competitors, customer response to repackaged services, pricing and availability of programming, equipment, supplies, and other inputs, the Company's ability to upgrade its network, technological developments, and changes in general economic conditions. Many of these factors are outside of the Company's control.

# # #

Contacts:

Erica Stull of Adelphia (303) 268-6502 [email protected]

Sherry Yeaman, HDNet, (214) 366-3449, [email protected]

·
Registered
425 Posts
Dropping Dish Network and getting Adelphia on the 30th. All I really want is for them to add ESPN and CBS and I'll be a happy camper. I'll still get the Super Bowl on Dish then I'm pulling the plug.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
All the cable companies with the exception of Comcast are signing with HDNet. Comcast is getting left in the dust.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Yes, SonomaSearcher is right. Comcast has been doing well in adding channels, and has some that Adelphi doesn't, like CBS and ESPN-HD. But (to me) Discovery, HDNET and Bravo would probably make Comcast the undisputed leader in HD offerings, even when satellites get HD Network feeds.

If Adelphi can do it, why not Comcast?

Rich N.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Valuepac
They also need to add CBS, UPN, WB, FOX, Starz, Cinemax, and the Movie channel.. Plus how about a HD PPV!!
Well I guess it's different at every Adelphia location then because, right now in Buffalo, NY. Adelphia is carrying the local CBS HD feed, the local NBC feed, a PBS feed, HBO HD, Showtime HD, Cinemax HD and Starz HD.

Add the announcement that HD Net and HD Net Movies will be added to their lineup and the fact that in May the local ABC channel should be added in HD They are off to a great start here in Buffalo as far as HD content goes.

I can't imagine them not adding Discovery HD and ESPN HD soon.

They will be by far the leader in HD service around here and I can't believe

that I have to give them credit for anything!

Because they have been horrible throughout the years here.

They have out priced themselves around here big time and both D* and E* are growing rapidly here right now due in large part to getting far more for your money.

But if they are going to be the HD leader than even I may have to take a second look :eek:

I dropped them a long time ago, went to D* then had to go back to Adelphia and dropped them again because of ghosting issues they could never trace and went with a Canadian Sat service.

But holy c h i t!

I may have te look again at Adelphia's new HD service here!

Like most people who have ever dealt with them, I have a deep rooted hate for this company. And while the old lying cheating thieving coniving flat out stealing money from us founding family has been replaced,

and hopefully off to jail sometime this year!

I'm not so sure price wise, that is hasn't been replaced by a corporate version of a bunch of well trained pocket pickers because the price just keeps going up and up and up.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Not that we expected it to be in the lineup the next day, but here's a letter from the person's email that was listed above.

At this point, we don’t have immediate plans to launch HDNet. FYI, I’m told the network will only carry 25 hockey games, 5 w/ California teams. The link below will give you more information about HDTV programming currently offered in southern California. Thanks for your inquiry.

-Erica Stull

·
Registered
425 Posts
I just found out that my local adelphia outlet doesn't carry a WB channel. And I'm not talking about WB-HD, just WB. We have 3 ABC's, 3 PBS's 2 NBC's and no WB?????!!!!!! Now I can't switch because one of my wifes favorite shows is on there and she forbids it! lol

Oh well, I guess I'll call and cancel my install appointment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.