AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I subscribe to the full package with adelphia digital cable and I dont care for the STB so much. IT is a motorola STB (DCT2000) it seems to no like ir remote extenders and ir blaster combinations (lost info when changing channels etc)

I would like to invest in my own box so I dont have to pay the 6 or 7 a month on the rental and gte extra options like s-video and DD out. I have no I dea where to begin on this or if it is allowed. Does anyone have any advice?

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Talk to Adelphia and see if they would authorize your own cable box before you go out and buy one that they won't. Maybe they have another brand they would swap with you.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Where are you located? Here Adelphia wouldn't let you do it, but perhaps some areas are different. I believe they are so clueless that they even are telling people that they can't install an Internet modem themselves (in order to get the install fee), so don't be surprised that you are forced to keep on renting the box.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
leesweet - KY area. Yeah I know their tech support sucks lol. They have had a whole slew of oe brand Cable Modem start going bad in my area so they are swapping it out with a motorola brand. If you call over when your modem is dead they swear you cant pick up the modem yourself because they dont have them at the local office... But a Tech from their local office will bring one out to me and install it.... Which brings up the question ok so where is the tech getting the modem from? Oh yeah that right the local office where you just said you didn have them... Needless to say they changed their mind on the whole thing and started letting people pick up the modems at the local office. Then next thing I love is the techs they send out around here are a joke on the cable internet side nd have absolutely no clue what so ever as to what they are doing and have no regaurd for the current network setups at locations (BTW I work at an PC Sales and Service center here) You wouldnt believe the amount of people that call us complaining about adelphia and armstrongs techs screwing things up.... swearing they couldnt hook the modem up because the lan card they had isn't compatible ETC ETC.....

Any way back to the subject I know adelphia more than likely will swear up and down they dont let you get your own box but any company will say that until you press them long enough. Just like with the swapping out of the cable modem story above. I just wondered if anyone has succeeded at doing so or what type of box to get and etc....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.