AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had Adelphia cable in college... I have to say they are the worst cable company I've ever had, hands down... This doesn't suprise me at all... They didn't even offer bi-directional cable modems (they were d/l only, u/l through the phone line) in my area until after I left school in 2001!!!! And this was in a town where several apartment complexes were installing T3 connected ethernet network ports in every bedroom...

--Paul

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have compared AdelphiaHD and OTA/D* HD and Adelphia was not quite as good PQ wise on my 64" Pioneer Elite RPTV.

It's too bad becouse I really wanted to consilidate.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
In Cleveland Ohio I've compared the HD channels to OTA & they are the same (on my sony KP51WS500). The article contends this method they are using doesn't degrade the PQ at all. I'm no expert on this technology so I can't comment, but I can say that I compared our OTA ABC to the Adelphia ABC as well as HBO-HD to Dish Network's HBO-HD & saw no noticable PQ degredation.

-Todd

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
That could be the case & if so, as far as this additional compression compromising PQ, we'll just have to wait & see. It's fine as of now at least here in Cleveland. According to the article, this new technology allows them to compress the channels without compromising PQ at all. Again, I have no clue if this could be true or not, but at this point, their PQ is fine, so let's hope with this new equipment, it stays that way. Probably just as I cancel Dish, Adelphia's PQ will drop & I'll be screwed! ha! Let's hope not. They are however going to make things very interesting as I pay $9.99 to Dish each month for their HD package & now it looks like Adelphia just inked a deal with HDnet, Starz-HD & InHD with Discovery-HD and ESPN-HD in the works here in Cleveland. That'll make it a very difficult choice!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Uncle. ;)

I guess PQ will be bad when they install the hardware...

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,754 Posts
From the press release:

Quote:
Adelphia is maximizing its bandwidth for HDTV by using the DM 6400 to deliver three HD programs in a single channel instead of the two HD programs a channel can typically support when operating at 256 QAM (Quadrature Amplitude Modulation). The DM 6400 accomplishes this by rate shaping, the real-time adjustment of a digital video program's bit rates. Rate shaping enables Adelphia to deliver more HD programming with less bandwidth while maintaining "picture perfect" picture quality.
What a load.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I wonder when they will install this garbage? Just when I thought they would be a good source for HD. Looks like I'm keeping Dish after all!!

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeraden
I'll be doing some "rate shaping" when I send in my next bill. I'll pay my overpriced $50 cable modem bill with $40 and see if they can tell a difference.
LOL!

I too would enjoy doing some "rate shaping" to my bill as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.