AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i seen this posted in the other section of the board and was wondering if anyone knows some hard proof...

Hey Everyone,

I've been reading these forums for a couple of months after I bought my first HDTV. This is my first post as I just decided to register.

I spoke with an Adelphia rep today and asked if I would be able to see the Super Bowl since the local CBS station is currently not part of my channel line-up in Monroeville, PA. She told me that all Adelphia HD customers would be able to see the Super Bowl in HD even if their local CBS HD channel had not been added yet. I asked for clarification and she said Adelphia would activate a temporary channel to all HD customers on the day of the Super Bowl that would allow them to get the Super Bowl in HD, which I assume would mean temporarily allocating the local CBS HD feed a channel in their system that would be removed after the game.

This gives me some hope of getting the Super Bowl in HD, but I'm still a bit skeptical. We'll see if Adelphia actually comes through with this promise. I thought other Adelphia subscribers in the Pittsburgh area would like to know this info. Maybe someone else can independently call and verify that this information is correct? I know I'd feel better if more than one person got the same answer from Adelphia. Cross your fingers, folks!

And then someone else said this...

I'm hopeful but skeptical of this. They should be advertising this like crazy if they was going to do it. Everytime I call, the CSR I speak too says "keep an eye on channel 1, well announce things there" Well gee guys this is huge, announce it if it's going to happen. To that end, I called Adelphia about an hour ago (before I read your post) and the guy I spoke to said they are agressively persuing it, and are getting requests like crazy, but he has no concrete information. Of course he did tell me to keep watching channel 1.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Let's get all this info in one thread. It looks like lots of people are talking about it. This is from the Merrimack NH thread (last post today):

------------------------------------------

I've been in contact with the regional manager for adelphia about adding CBS for the Super Bowl. Although he's optimistic that they'll have approval this week (they already have it up & running in the control center), as usual, he couldn't say for sure. Keep your fingers crossed!

Adelphia also has agreed to carry NDNet & NDNet Movies, which should be available soon, so things are looking up!

Go Pats!

---------------------------------------------

Perry, you made my heart race for a second. This can't possibly be true, can it?

Any news?

I'm having people over for the game and having to explain that we'll be watching on the 32" SD TV instead of the 80" projector is gonna be tough.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a quick update from Adelphia.

They are hoping to have the contract signed by Saturday. Even if they can't get that done they are hoping to get a release to show the Superbowl.

I will be calling tomorrow and Saturday and will post if I hear anything.

-------------------

S. Dave: From what I hear from the adelphia manager, WBZ was going to contact CBS corporate yesterday to try to work out an agreement, so your update appears to be verified.

Maybe they could do a beta test for the weekend!

------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea And No...its possible that they will get it by sunday but even if they don't they will at least have a temporary channel that will have the superbowl in HD. now if this comes thru that will be the kinda customer service that all HDTV owners should have

·
Registered
565 Posts
OK...sorta good news and maybe bad news. Just got back from a meeting tonight where Adelphia reps were presenting their annual performance review to the town Board. The regional manager, to whom I've spoken with previously, tells me that "negotiations are still in progress" between Adelphia, BZ Boston and CBS Corporate.

A few points:

1) I asked him "if the deal's not done by end of Friday, is it a dead deal for Sunday's SB?" He indicated that it could get done over the weekend and that he's "able to push the button 10 minutes before the game starts and for me to keep an eye out for channel 704." (seems to me that if it's not up by Sat., it ain't happenin'...know of any corporate lawyer-types who work on Sundays??!!)

2) Re: merlconn's earlier post that Adelphia will act on it's own and just send the signal anyway...I doubt that's happenin' either. I suggested he do a beta test of CBS-HD at 6:20pm on Sunday...you know, just to make sure it's working properly (for about 4 hours). He said "we'd all be looking for jobs on Monday."

3) He also said that "CBS wants a lot of money." (that's cable-speak for "don't count on it.")

So...although it's still a possibility...I'm not overly hopeful.

In the meantime, seeing as I'm hosting a party for 30-some people, I just got an out-of-the-box Sammy sir-t151 for $200 from CC today and will get a RS antenna tomorrow and then pray that I can get a signal. (All components returnable, BTW)

If only the Super Bowl was on ABC! :rolleyes:

Go Pats!!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by perrycom
OK...sorta good news and maybe bad news. Just got back from a meeting tonight where Adelphia reps were presenting their annual performance review to the town Board. The regional manager, to whom I've spoken with previously, tells me that "negotiations are still in progress" between Adelphia, BZ Boston and CBS Corporate.

A few points:

1) I asked him "if the deal's not done by end of Friday, is it a dead deal for Sunday's SB?" He indicated that it could get done over the weekend and that he's "able to push the button 10 minutes before the game starts and for me to keep an eye out for channel 704." (seems to me that if it's not up by Sat., it ain't happenin'...know of any corporate lawyer-types who work on Sundays??!!)

2) Re: merlconn's earlier post that Adelphia will act on it's own and just send the signal anyway...I doubt that's happenin' either. I suggested he do a beta test of CBS-HD at 6:20pm on Sunday...you know, just to make sure it's working properly (for about 4 hours). He said "we'd all be looking for jobs on Monday."

3) He also said that "CBS wants a lot of money." (that's cable-speak for "don't count on it.")

So...although it's still a possibility...I'm not overly hopeful.

In the meantime, seeing as I'm hosting a party for 30-some people, I just got an out-of-the-box Sammy sir-t151 for $200 from CC today and will get a RS antenna tomorrow and then pray that I can get a signal. (All components returnable, BTW)

If only the Super Bowl was on ABC! :rolleyes:

Go Pats!!!
Thanks for the excellent update Perry.

Since I've only had the HD box for a week and haven't seen any sports on HD let me ask a dumb question.

Is the CBS broadcast of HD Sports 16x9 or 4X3? Seems like evrything I've seen other than the movie channels and PBS is 4X3.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Stable Dave
Thanks for the excellent update Perry.

Since I've only had the HD box for a week and haven't seen any sports on HD let me ask a dumb question.

Is the CBS broadcast of HD Sports 16x9 or 4X3? Seems like evrything I've seen other than the movie channels and PBS is 4X3.
Dave: Yes, 16x9 @ 1080i. If you haven't checked it out yet, HD program listings can be found at www.titantv.com

·
Registered
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Perfectchris
ANYONE IN THE SO CAL AREA...... We now have CBS on channel 902!!!! tHnaks ADELPHIA!!!!!
Wow, that's good news for you Chris.

It's gotta be a good sign for us....

right...

huh...

please...

·
Registered
565 Posts
SD - I'd like to be optimistic as well, but it seems that Adelphia has to strike deals with each local affiliate (in our case, BZ Boston), and they have to get CBS Corp. approval to act on it as an O&O.

As I emailed Adelphia's GM today, after this morning's news that RCN added CBS today..."let's see - Comcast, Time Warner, RCN...Charter Communications for chrissakes...who's missing?"

Check out toward the end of this article..it seems like A*phia's taking the hard line corporately:
http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/...ss/7834474.htm

Still...I don't understand why they're taking such a stance in Boston, when EVERY other cable company is on board.

I'm going OTA tomorrow...wish me luck!

Oh yeah...and GO PATS!!!!!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
My So Cal Adelphia HD box now has CBS as channel 902, but no signal has come in yet (I get the "one moment please" message on my screen). I'll check again tomorrow and see if I get a picture. I won't bother calling because the customer service reps still don't believe our neigborhood has HD access, and I've had it hooked up for about a month now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey Raymond, I called Adelphia csr and spoke to "Debbie" and and told her about the "one moment please" message, she replied that since it was a mapped channel on the interactive guide that kcbs hd would probably be available within 30 days.

Personally, I think that she is clueless (like most csr's) and it will be up in time for superbowl.

Glad I am not in a position to need it, since I get all my local hd via ota also.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey Perfectchris, calm down everything is gonna' be OK.

Still has the "one moment please" message when tuned to channel 902 kcbs hd Adelphia here in Diamond Bar, Ca.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.