1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As an owner of a new Pany 80 DVD recorder, I just read a Panasonic

insert (within the owner's manual) that said, "Do not attach stickers

or adhesive tape" to the DVDs.

What about all the office supply stores that sell labeling kits?

Or are those just for CDs, and not DVDs?

Does anyone here regularly apply those round labels to their disks?

Thanks!

Walt

·
Registered
580 Posts
This topic has been covered several times in many forums. The consensus is that they make dvds skip. You can get away sometimes, depending on the dvd player, but generally they will not work well. I experimented with labels and sure enough it made my dvd either skip or not work at all. When I took the label off, it worked fine. I will never use labels again. Some people recommend a label that is thin like scotch tape but I've never came across them yet. I use hub labels; they're small round labels that go around the plastic hub. I use it basically for naming the disc. Go to www.surething.com for more information. You will have to buy the kit because it comes with the cd software. I threw away the plastic applicator because it's useless. I place the labels on my hand. Good luck

Here's a direct link, get the matted ones, the clear ones suck:
http://www.surething.com/ST/Category...CD_LABELER_HUB

Here's 520 hub labels for $10
http://www.surething.com/ST/Product.asp?ProdCode=20006

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
head over to www.americal.com and check out the 'no-wobble' labels... exceptionally THIN (almost like onionskin) and a very tight glue. Had no problems with them on about 300 discs..

·
Registered
752 Posts
Make sure you center the label well, use an applicator and rub the label on well to remove any air bubbles etc. I even spray paint them with clear coating lacquer, they sell it for photographic work etc. but I think any clear paint would work. This seals the ink and prevents smearing or even peeling. Because it makes the label stiffer.

I even run the finished dvd under water to test, no label problems at all, the water rolls off it. And it dries in about 3 minutes a coat, I usually do 2 thin coats.

I personally have had no skipping problems because of the thickness on any of my 3 dvd players or recorders. But maybe some machines are more sensitive than others.

I rent dvd's occasionally from a store that sticks off center UPC stickers on their disks(they scan them) and I would think that would cause problems because it on one side only, but so far no problems playing back their dvd's either.

Best advice is, try it and see if you have problems.

You probably won't, if you do, blanks are cheap nowadays, so

it didn't cost you much to experiment.

Good Luck,

AnthonyNYC

·
Registered
752 Posts
Make sure you center the label well, use an applicator and rub the label on well to remove any air bubbles etc. I even spray paint them with clear coating lacquer, they sell it for photographic work etc. but I think any clear paint would work. This seals the ink and prevents smearing or even peeling. Because it makes the label stiffer.

I even run the finished dvd under water to test, no label problems at all, the water rolls off it. And it dries in about 3 minutes a coat, I usually do 2 thin coats.

I personally have had no skipping problems because of the thickness on any of my 3 dvd players or recorders. But maybe some machines are more sensitive than others.

I rent dvd's occasionally from a store that sticks off center UPC stickers on their disks(they scan them) and I would think that would cause problems because it on one side only, but so far no problems playing back their dvd's either.

Best advice is, try it and see if you have problems.

You probably won't, if you do, blanks are cheap nowadays, so

it didn't cost you much to experiment.

Good Luck,

AnthonyNYC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.