AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this has been discussed before. I am probably not using the correct search terms.

I'm planning to paint a Goo screen and I would like to jury-rig an adjustable masking system for the various aspect ratios. My key priorities here are that it be cheap, easy to adjust, and not unnattractive (got to worry about the WAF, of course).

I'm thinking curtains can go on the sides to be drawn in for 4:3, but then the problem is masking the height differences between 16:9, 1.85:1, and 2.35:1, etc. My first thought was mounting some sort of black pull-down shade, but that might be problematic (do I put one on the bottom to pull up, and how do I lock that in place?). I've heard of people using black velvet with adhesive, but is that adjustable or fixed in place?

I know this must have come up before. What do others use?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I recently rigged up something similar to what you're trying to do. I used black velvet curtains to handle the 4:3 format and 1.5" foam board covered in velvet for the rest of the formats. I connected the foam panel to a very simple pulley system that raises and lowers the panels equally by just moving the lower panel. The pictures i'm attaching are of the first prototype. I've made a few changes in the materials that have made things run much smoother but I haven't gotten around to taking pics so if this is something you're interested in let me know and i'll get you more details.

I'm not sure how to attach multiple pics so the rest will be below..

·
Registered
28,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Snide, thanks for the photos.

You have given me some interesting ideas but I'm not sure how well a pulley system like that would work in my particular room. Hmmm...

Anyone else do something different?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Cheap and easy. Get black gatorboard cut to the sizes you need for your masking; it comes in 4'x6' sheets; then use velcro patches attached to the black trim of your screen to attach the masks. Gatorboard is light enough that it should work.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
So, why don't Da-Lite or other vendors make a cheap, manual-adjustable masking system??? I think it will sell well if priced right... Electric masking systems are way too costly, at least for me!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I made some lightweight timber frames with 3mm MDF on one side. I then covered these masking panels in balck velvet.

Initially I tried velcro to the existing border, but its a real pain to get them exactly level, and there position changes everytime you put them back on.

My solution was to make metal hooks and err, hook holders (on the existing border) and i just hang them in place when I go to 2.35:1

Very easy to take on and off and they go to the same position every time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I made some lightweight timber frames with 3mm MDF on one side. I then covered these masking panels in balck velvet.

Initially I tried velcro to the existing border, but its a real pain to get them exactly level, and there position changes everytime you put them back on.

My solution was to make metal hooks and err, hook holders (on the existing border) and i just hang them in place when I go to 2.35:1

Very easy to take on and off and they go to the same position every time.

·
Registered
345 Posts
My wife and I made a fully adjustable matting curtains for our screen (which is a white painted wall). See my site, I also have a drawing and how I did explanation on the second construction page at the bottom!

We made this entire screen and matting system for under $100.
http://prosteering.8k.com/index.html

Wes

·
Registered
693 Posts
Wes, I've emailed you regarding your surround setup. Got a few questions.

·
Registered
131 Posts
For 4:3, I use curtains.

For 2.35:1, etc., I do this:

My scaler allows me to move the image up or down, so I can have one

large bar at the bottom of the screen. I've placed some short sections of 2x4 vertically on the sides of the screen. They're covered with Velcro. I've made a curtain that's about 18" tall with Velcro on the sides.

I bump the image so that the top of the image meets the top of the screen. Then I hang the curtain to cover the bar. Takes seconds to do, and it's quite effective.

Total cost of everything, including curtains and rods: $40.

Photo attached. I should have taken a few more seconds to pull the curtain tight. It's sagging a bit in the photo.

Charlie

·
Registered
28,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by WCP
My wife and I made a fully adjustable matting curtains for our screen (which is a white painted wall). See my site, I also have a drawing and how I did explanation on the second construction page at the bottom!

We made this entire screen and matting system for under $100.

Wes
I like the looks of this, Wes. What do you use for the matting material?

·
Registered
131 Posts
The scaler is the Immersive Holo3D card, installed in a PC.

Immersive is introducing a new model soon; they're clearing out the old ones at $325.

An amazing product.

Charlie

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.