AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the sony discs Underworld E., Talledega Nights, etc. there is the video screen to adjust your black level and color(7669). Do you want the light grey bar on the right hand corner to be barely visable or to where it just disappears showing all black? Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
29,371 Posts
The Sony test patterns are inherently flawed due to blacker-than-black and whiter-than-white clipping caused by the Sony encoder. The Brightness and Contrast patterns are effectively useless.

·
Registered
29,371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir /forum/post/0

I'm talking about whether or not the Sony pattern has an accurate, baseline calibration color decoding pattern that is up to spec such as DVE does on SD DVD.

I haven't heard anything about the colors being inaccurate. They look close enough to me, but beyond the blue filter that comes with Avia I'm not able to scientifically measure them. However, the BTB and WTW problem was confirmed by either Stacey Spears or Kris Deering (sorry, don't remember which).

·
Registered
755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/0

I haven't heard anything about the colors being inaccurate. They look close enough to me, but beyond the blue filter that comes with Avia I'm not able to scientifically measure them. However, the BTB and WTW problem was confirmed by either Stacey Spears or Kris Deering (sorry, don't remember which).

With the exception of the first few titles, all of our releases have test patterns encoded at the full 0 - 254 code word range. They are accurate.

·
Registered
6,291 Posts

Quote:

The Sony test patterns are inherently flawed due to blacker-than-black and whiter-than-white clipping caused by the Sony encoder. The Brightness and Contrast patterns are effectively useless.

Josh, do you know if the btb/wtw clipping can be "fixed" with a firmware update; or is the problem caused by the chip based RGB processing?

·
Registered
15,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paidgeek /forum/post/0

With the exception of the first few titles, all of our releases have test patterns encoded at the full 0 - 244 code word range. They are accurate.

paidgeek,

Do you know if the test patterns on the Taladega Nights disc which came with the PS3 are accurate?

·
Registered
755 Posts

Quote:

paidgeek,

Do you know if the test patterns on the Taladega Nights disc which came with the PS3 are accurate?

Yes, that title is recent and was encoded with SMPTE bars that have valid pluge.

·
Registered
29,371 Posts

Quote:

With the exception of the first few titles, all of our releases have test patterns encoded at the full 0 - 254 code word range. They are accurate.

Good to know. With which title was this change first made?

·
Registered
755 Posts

Quote:

Good to know. With which title was this change first made?

This was done 5 or 6 months ago, but I'm sorry I don't know what the first title was.

·
Registered
755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1965 /forum/post/0

So, back to the OPs question. Is the gray bar supposed to be black or just barely visible? Thx

If you turn the brightness up temporarily, you should see all 3 bars. This will confirm that your entire system is passing the signal correctly. Then reduce the brightness level until you can just see the gray bar.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lars10 /forum/post/0

On the sony discs Underworld E., Talledega Nights, etc. there is the video screen to adjust your black level and color(7669). Do you want the light grey bar on the right hand corner to be barely visable or to where it just disappears showing all black? Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMPTE_color_bars
Quote:
The bottom section of the test pattern contains a square of saturated (100% intensity) white and a rectangle of saturated (7.5% intensity) black, for use in setting the luminance range. More modern versions of the pattern feature a "pluge pulse." The pluge (short for "Picture Line-Up Generation Equipment") pulse is positioned within the black rectangle, below the red bar (it is present in the illustration but may be hard to see). It comprises three small vertical bars, a rightmost one with intensity just above the saturated black level, a middle one with intensity exactly equal to saturated black, and a leftmost one with intensity just below saturated black (or "blacker than black"). The pluge pulse aids in adjusting the bottom of the luminance range to avoid either washing out the black tones into grays or collapsing picture information into the signal clipping that occurs a small distance below the saturated black level (known as "crushing the blacks").

In terms of IRE units NTSC black sits at 7.5. the darker rectangle ("superblack") sits at 4.5 and the higher one sits at 10 IRE units.

The normal calibration procedure is to adjust such that the darker black rectangle just disappears. Since the PS3 does not pass

·
Registered
3,612 Posts

Quote:

If you turn the brightness up temporarily, you should see all 3 bars. This will confirm that your entire system is passing the signal correctly. Then reduce the brightness level until you can just see the gray bar.

Nice of you to participate in this thread and thanks for venturing outside of the "Insider's Thread" but I must say what you are suggesting is not possible as the PS3 I have (and I daresay many others) with the latest firmware does not pass 235 with any of the calibration discs I have at my disposal. Now it is indeed not "crushing" said codes but regardless of how you adjust Brightness or Contrast these parts of the greyscale do *not* become visible. This is with either RGB or YCbCr on the HDMI transport.

ted

·
Registered
755 Posts

Quote:

Paidgeek,

On a related note, can you please confirm if a future firmware update will correct the black and white clipping occuring on the PS3?

I need to confirm if this is an issue after the latest version of firware is installed. It will be a week or so before I can check.

·
Registered
755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvted /forum/post/0

Nice of you to participate in this thread and thanks for venturing outside of the "Insider's Thread" but I must say what you are suggesting is not possible as the PS3 I have (and I daresay many others) with the latest firmware does not pass 235 with any of the calibration discs I have at my disposal. Now it is indeed not "crushing" said codes but regardless of how you adjust Brightness or Contrast these parts of the greyscale do *not* become visible. This is with either RGB or YCbCr on the HDMI transport.

ted

As mentioned in my earlier post, I need to confirm if this is still the case with verson 1.32. They have added video functions and I have not been in the office to test them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.