AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've now got my new replacement HLM507W and am getting ready to set it up using my Avia DVD. When I tried this a mnonth or so ago I have trouble with the setup as the instructions given didn't seem to apply to DLP sets.

Can someone suggest the best way to use Avia to setup a Samsung DLP set. I assume I have to set up each input (i use) seperately.

Also, do I use the custom mode to do the setup or can I just change settings in say dynamic mode?

·
Registered
853 Posts
PLUGE for low IRE (30), 10 step gray bars for high IRE (80). Look for even steps and gradiations in the steps.

Make sure that you don't clip Black or White levels. If possible, set PLUGE in the 4X3 screen mode, and use that setting for other screen formats.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Same patterns on both discs...no difference.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Coyotes
PLUGE for low IRE (30), 10 step gray bars for high IRE (80). Look for even steps and gradiations in the steps.

Make sure that you don't clip Black or White levels. If possible, set PLUGE in the 4X3 screen mode, and use that setting for other screen formats.
Coyotes,

Can I ask for a little further explanation of that statement? Is the Avia disc in 4:3 or 16:9 format? I haven't fired it up yet, as I just received it last night, but plan to tonight or this weekend. If the disc is 4:3 then I understand your statement. If it is 16:9, then why would you switch it to 4:3 to calibrate your 16:9 tv's inputs?

Sorry if I am being dense here... I thought I knew what was going on and now I am confused again.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
I thought only only one or the other did PLUGE, I've got VE but since I've gone through 3 sets I haven't calibrated yet.

Quote:
Originally posted by Coyotes
Same patterns on both discs...no difference.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Guys,

Make certain to surf on over to this site so that you can get the details on exactly what's what from Guy Kuo ( Ovation Software) himself in terms of Avia:
Avia Tips link

Best of luck... I'll post my results after Avia either tonight or this weekend.

Later,

Jeff

·
Registered
853 Posts
Quote:
If the disc is 4:3 then I understand your statement. If it is 16:9, then why would you switch it to 4:3 to calibrate your 16:9 tv's inputs?
With your display in 4:3, you can see all of the pattern, and match it to the non-information area of your screen for black level adjustment. In 16X9, the entire screen is comprised of the pattern off the disc.

If Jim Burns is in your area with his Fixed Pixel Display seminar, it is well worth attending.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.